Converting W²/NJHz to MKS: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter joejo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary: Saturday afternoon...and i have gone to my teacher...but he is busy so he couldn't help me...thanks...I am sorry. I thought that this was the answer to the question:\frac{W^2}{N \times J \times Hz}The Bob (2004 ©)I am sorry. I thought that this was the answer to the question:\frac{W^2}{N \times J \times Hz}No problem. I owe you an apology for being too quick to assume I was right.The Bob (2004 ©)hey...I am sorry. I thought that this was the answer to the question:\frac{W^2}{N \times J \times Hz
so many answers??!? which one is right guys?!

older dan is that right...because that is easy to understand...

someone please help?!

Physics news on Phys.org
joejo said:
so many answers??!? which one is right guys?!

older dan is that right...because that is easy to understand...

someone please help?!

m/s is the correct answer. You can count on it.

Some of the earlier solutions also got the same result. I posted my solution because it is simpler than the approaches posted earlier. Data's is also simple, but it combines two pieces of the given information in one step. Bob's final answer also agrees, but his latest post combines many things in the first substitution. I avoided that in my approach.

There are often many ways to approach a problem, and I'm not claiming mine is the "best", but as a general rule when I have to simplify units I prefer to eliminate as many "derived" units as possible before replacing them with the "fundamental" units of m,kg,s. It usually cuts down on the number of steps and reduces the probability of losing track of something.

I posted the answer because there are lots of incorrect answers in this thread, which could easily confuse the poster (and apparently have!). m/s is correct.

Data said:
m/s is correct.
Is 'm/s' standard practise to most people? It was good at GCSE but causes confusion when doing this sort of problem. Making it ms-1 makes more sense as you can mathematically solve it with letters.

This is only my peronsal opinion and if others find m/s easier then that is fine. Just remember that higher levels of education use ms-1. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)