Simplifying a Math Problem with Picture Explanation | Paul-Martin

• Thread starter paul-martin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving simplification and limits. The first problem involves applying the concept of dividing by a fraction to simplify an expression. The second problem appears to be incorrect and the conversation shifts to discussing the "ratio" test for infinite series and its proof using a geometric series.
paul-martin
Math problem (picture) (second problem added)

Can anyone explain this simplification?

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/1786/maproblem1bm.jpg

Kindly Paul-MArtin

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You probably know that dividing by a fraction is the same as multiplying it with the inverse. So that (a/b)/(c/d) = (a/b)*(d/c). Applying that here gives

[tex]\frac{{\frac{{3^{k + 1} }}{{\left( {k + 1} \right)!}}}}{{\frac{{3^k }}{{k!}}}} = \frac{{3^{k + 1} }}{{\left( {k + 1} \right)!}}\frac{{k!}}{{3^k }} = \frac{{3 \cdot 3^k \cdot k!}}{{3^k \left( {k + 1} \right) \cdot k!}} = \frac{3}{{\left( {k + 1} \right)}}[/tex]

Very good, thank you!,

convincing myself!
K=1
1*2=(1+1)*1 ok

k=2
1*2*3=(3*1*2)

k=3
1*2*3*4=(4*1*2*3)

Now i se it's obvious stupid me :(...

I wonder can anyone simplifi this problem? what am i missing?

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/1434/maproblem22pi.jpg

What? That problem doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you've written it down correctly?

1. Your picture says [tex]lim_{x->\infty}[/tex] but there is no x in the formula. Did you mean k instead of x?

2. If the limit you show equals any y, then, by definition, it is not divergent!

I think you are referring to the "ratio" test for infinite series:
If the limit [tex]lim_{k->\infty}\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}= y[/tex]
and y< 1 then the infinite series [tex]\Sigma_{k=1}^{\infty}a_n[/tex]
converges, if y>1 then it diverges.

The general proof of that is given in any calculus text. It basically uses y to compare the series to a geometric series.

If, eventually, [tex]\frac{a_{k+1}}{a_k}< y[/tex] then we can write ak+1< yak< y2ak-1< ...< yka1 so that the series in dominated by the geometric series [tex]\Sigma_{k=1}^{\infty}a_1y^k[/tex] which converges if y< 1.

1. What is the given math problem in the picture?

The given math problem in the picture is an algebraic equation that involves variables and numbers. It may require solving for a specific variable or finding the value of the entire equation.

2. How do I approach solving this math problem?

The first step in approaching any math problem is to carefully read and understand the given information and what is being asked. Then, identify any known values and variables. Next, use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, distributing, or isolating variables to solve the problem.

3. What strategies can I use if I am having trouble solving this math problem?

If you are having trouble solving a math problem, try breaking it down into smaller, simpler steps. You can also try using visual aids, such as drawing a diagram or creating a table, to better understand the problem. Additionally, seek help from a teacher, tutor, or study group to gain different perspectives and approaches.

4. How do I check if my solution to the math problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a math problem is correct, you can plug in your solution for the variables in the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator to verify your answer or ask a teacher or tutor to review your work.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

Improving problem-solving skills in math takes practice and perseverance. Start by practicing with a variety of math problems and using different strategies to solve them. It is also helpful to review and understand any mistakes made in previous problems. Seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed, and don't give up even if a problem seems challenging at first.