Find the path traced out by each ant

• Thread starter mahesh_2961
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, four ants sitting on each vertex of a square table begin to move towards the ant on their right at any given instant, resulting in a path that forms a logarithmic spiral that ends at the center of the square. The equation for this spiral is r = (a/2)e^(theta/2), with a representing the side length of the square. The total distance traveled by each ant is equal to the initial separation between them.
mahesh_2961
Hi guys
Please help me work out this problem :cry:
The problem is like this
There is a square table. On each vertex there is an ant sitting. Now these ants (four of them) starts moving in such a way that at any instant of time the direction of motion of each ant is directed towards an ant which started from a vertex adjacent to it (say the vertex to its right side).
Now the question is:
to find the path traced out by each ant (all of them will trace similar paths).
I tried drawing the paths of each ant to solve this, from the drawings i can only understand that at any time the velocity vector of two adjacent ants are perpendicular to each other and the four of them will eventually meet at the center of the square.

regards
Mahesh :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mahesh_2961 said:
Hi guys
Please help me work out this problem :cry:
The problem is like this
There is a square table. On each vertex there is an ant sitting. Now these ants (four of them) starts moving in such a way that at any instant of time the direction of motion of each ant is directed towards an ant which started from a vertex adjacent to it (say the vertex to its right side).
Now the question is:
to find the path traced out by each ant (all of them will trace similar paths).
I tried drawing the paths of each ant to solve this, from the drawings i can only understand that at any time the velocity vector of two adjacent ants are perpendicular to each other and the four of them will eventually meet at the center of the square.
regards

Why wouldn't they simply move on a circle,the same circle,the circle circumscribed to the initial square??If they're on a circle,every ant's direction of motion (arch of a circle) is definitely towards the ant which is in front of it.While the velocity vectors remain tangent to the circle (trajectory),just as they should.If they move at the same velocity (tangent),then the distance (arch of circle) will remain distant and they could go round like that till they age and die. :tongue2:

Daniel.

But in that case the condition that " at any instant of time the direction of motion of each ant is directed towards an ant which started from a vertex adjacent to it " will not be satisfied
The path i got by drawing it is attached .. I am not very good at sketching :smile:

These paths satisfy the above condition but the thing is i am not able to find this mathematically...

regards
Mahesh

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    24 KB · Views: 260
mahesh_2961 said:
But in that case the condition that " at any instant of time the direction of motion of each ant is directed towards an ant which started from a vertex adjacent to it " will not be satisfied.

Are u kidding me,or are u running low with your imagination...?Read very carefully:"at any instant of time the direction of motion of each ant is directed towards an ant which started from a vertex adjacent to it "
If they move on a circle,then at any instant of time,the direction of movement of each ant will be directed towards the ant which is in front and which started to move from the adjacent vertex.On your picture the directions of movement for each ant are perpendicular for two neighboring ants,not the same.In my case,of the circle,the 2 neighboring ants walk the same path.It's actually true for all of them.

Daniel.

PS.I hope u realize.Else,i won't argue with you...

They will meet in the middle.

Geometrically, it's easy to show. All the ants are the same distance from the center. They lie on the circumference of a circle. Their path isn't along the circumference, though, so their path is not perpendicular to the radius. Their instantaneous path is along the secant of the circle, since they are headed directly towards the next ant. There's no way back to their original position. Their radius can only get smaller and smaller.

Setting up the math will take a little thought. The radius is constantly changing, getting smaller. The path of each ant should be a function of the radius and the angle necessary to head towards the adjacent ant.

Edit: Thinking about it, the angle between the radius and the secant line stays constant. It's just a square with a shrinking radius. I take it the ants' linear speed stays constant. You want to solve this as a related rate between the radius and the angular velocity.

Last edited:
hai,
before i can start doing it, would like to know whether my drawing was correct or not ? I am very confused right now :confused: .. please help

Thanks in advance

Yes, it captures the general idea.

All four follow the same path, just separated 90 degrees.

The path is a logarithmic spiral that ends at the center, just as you've drawn it.

The equation I get for the spiral is :
[tex]r = \frac{a}{2}~e^{\theta /2}~, ~~-\infty < \theta \leq 0 [/tex]

I got this by integrating to find the arc length of the spiral starting at a/2, and equating this length to a, where a is the side of the square table.

The reason the arc length, or the total distance traveled by each ant, is a, is easy to see using relative co-ordinates. Imagine a frame that is rotating with the same angular velocity as the rotation of the square formed by the ants. I am one of the ants. The ant in front of me has no component of motion along the line joining us, so I merely have to travel a distance equal to our initial separation to meet up with it. So the total distance traveled is simply equal to the initial separation, a.

PS : This is not the rigorous way to derive the path equation. I used a short cut because I knew that the path is a logarithmic spiral.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the path traced out by each ant?

The purpose of finding the path traced out by each ant is to understand their movement patterns and behaviors. This information can be used in various studies, such as studying ant colony dynamics or designing more efficient algorithms based on ant foraging behavior.

2. How do you track the path of an ant?

The path of an ant can be tracked by marking their bodies with a non-toxic paint or using tiny radio transmitters. Alternatively, their path can also be traced by placing them on a surface with a thin layer of powder or using specialized software to analyze video footage of their movement.

3. Do all ants follow the same path?

No, not all ants follow the same path. Ants have different roles in their colony, such as foragers, scouts, and workers, and their movement patterns may vary depending on their job. Additionally, environmental factors and the presence of food sources can also influence their path.

4. Can the path traced out by an ant change over time?

Yes, the path traced out by an ant can change over time. Ants are highly adaptable and can adjust their routes based on changes in their environment, such as the location of food sources or obstacles in their way. They can also communicate with each other through pheromones, which can lead to changes in their path.

5. What can we learn from studying the path traced out by ants?

Studying the path traced out by ants can provide insights into their decision-making processes, communication methods, and social behaviors. It can also help us understand how they navigate and forage in their environment, which can have implications for solving real-world problems, such as optimizing transportation routes or designing more efficient algorithms.