Math Triangle-inequality problem

• Thread starter Anzas
  • Start date
In summary: The correct proof would be:In summary, using the properties of absolute value and the triangle inequality, it can be shown that | |x|-|y| | <= |x+y| <= |x|+|y|.
Anzas
prove that for any real values of x,y
| |x|-|y| | <= |x+y| <= |x| + |y|

Physics news on Phys.org
Well try using these properties :

1) |x| <= a then -a <= x <= a
2) in order to loose the ||-signs make a distinction for |x| when x > 0 and x < 0
If x > 0 then |x| = x
if x < 0 then |x| = -x
3) Triangle-inequality : |x| - |y| <= |x + y| <= |x| + |y|

I am not saying you will need all this properties, only some of them will do to make your proof. How would you start ? You have all the necessary "ingredients" when it comes to the ||-properties

regards
marlon
good luck

ok i think i got it now
| |x|-|y| | <= |x+y| <= |x|+|y|

ill mark |x+y| as "a"

| |x|-|y| | <= a
then
|x|-|y| <= a
which gives
|x|-|y| <= |x+y| <= |x|+|y|
and by triangle inequality we can see that this statement is correct.

thanks for your help i completely forgot those inequality rules :smile:

The question is basically asking you to prove the triangle inequality.

I doubt that you'd be allowed to used the triangle inequality to prove the same.

You can prove it either by considering the 4 cases where x and y are positive and negative reals, or using trigonometry (cosine rule) to prove it in the general case of complex numbers, which would automatically make it true in the reals.

Last edited:
Good point by Gokul...

Can you use the triangle identity yes or no? If not, there is a nice way to prove the triangle-identity but it is usually given as theory...there different proofs of different levels using different "kinds" of math

marlon

im pretty sure I am allowed to use it but in any case i know how to prove it thank you guys :smile:

| |x|-|y| | <= a
then
|x|-|y| <= a
which gives
|x|-|y| <= |x+y| <= |x|+|y|

You've done things backwards! You used | |x|-|y| | <= a to prove |x|-|y| <= |x+y|, but your goal was to prove | |x|-|y| | <= a, not |x|-|y| <= |x+y|.

1. What is the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side.

2. How can I use the Triangle Inequality Theorem to solve problems?

You can use the Triangle Inequality Theorem to determine if a set of three side lengths can form a triangle. If the sum of any two sides is greater than the third side, then a triangle can be formed. You can also use it to find the range of possible values for a missing side length.

3. Are there any exceptions to the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

Yes, the Triangle Inequality Theorem does not apply to degenerate triangles, which are triangles with all three points lying on the same line. In these cases, the sum of any two sides will be equal to the third side.

4. Can the Triangle Inequality Theorem be applied to other shapes besides triangles?

No, the Triangle Inequality Theorem only applies to triangles. It is a specific property of triangles and cannot be applied to other shapes.

5. How does the Triangle Inequality Theorem relate to the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a special case of the Triangle Inequality Theorem. When the triangle is a right triangle, the Pythagorean Theorem can be used to determine the length of the third side, while the Triangle Inequality Theorem can be used to determine if a triangle can be formed with the given side lengths.