1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math problem

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone
    I want to solve this equation
    F(x)=Ax/((bx*x)+c =constant which is an odd function in which we get same positive and negative solutions for each F
    But If I solve his equation I get two different x values for The same F any suggestions??
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean two different x values for the same value of what you're calling the constant?

Graph y = x/(x^2 + 1) to get an idea of what your function F looks like.

4. May 15, 2014 #3
    First thank you for the reply
    Second yes these are all constants but what I am asking about is how come if I solve it analytically I would not get 2 values on x same but opposite to each other
    But different values of x

5. May 15, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... surely you are treating x as a variable?
    You seem to be wanting to solve: $$a=\frac{x}{bx^2+c}$$... here a=<constant>/A which is also a constant.

This becomes ##abx^2-x+ac = 0## which is a quadratic equation.

You are getting two possible values of x for given values of a,b, and c because there are two possible values that make the relation true. What is the problem?

Your concern seems to be that you are getting ##\pm## <the same number> as the roots ... if so, then please show your working.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook