Solving an Odd Equation: Two Different x Values for Same F?

• Thread starter eahaidar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation for a function F, which is an odd function with the same positive and negative solutions. However, there are two different x values for the same F, and there is confusion about why this is happening. The other person suggests graphing the function to get a better understanding of it. The original poster also clarifies that they are treating x as a variable and solving it analytically. The other person explains that this results in a quadratic equation with two possible values for x, which is not a problem. The original poster is concerned about getting the same number for both positive and negative solutions, and requests for help with their working.
eahaidar
Hello everyone
I want to solve this equation
F(x)=Ax/((bx*x)+c =constant which is an odd function in which we get same positive and negative solutions for each F
But If I solve his equation I get two different x values for The same F any suggestions??
Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
eahaidar said:
Hello everyone
I want to solve this equation
F(x)=Ax/((bx*x)+c =constant which is an odd function in which we get same positive and negative solutions for each F
But If I solve his equation I get two different x values for The same F any suggestions??
Do you mean two different x values for the same value of what you're calling the constant?

Graph y = x/(x^2 + 1) to get an idea of what your function F looks like.

First thank you for the reply
Second yes these are all constants but what I am asking about is how come if I solve it analytically I would not get 2 values on x same but opposite to each other
But different values of x

yes these are all constants
... surely you are treating x as a variable?
You seem to be wanting to solve: $$a=\frac{x}{bx^2+c}$$... here a=<constant>/A which is also a constant.

This becomes ##abx^2-x+ac = 0## which is a quadratic equation.

You are getting two possible values of x for given values of a,b, and c because there are two possible values that make the relation true. What is the problem?

Your concern seems to be that you are getting ##\pm## <the same number> as the roots ... if so, then please show your working.

Last edited:
for sharing your equation with us! It seems like you have come across an interesting problem in your equation. In mathematics, it is not uncommon for an equation to have multiple solutions for a given value of the variable. This is especially true for odd functions, where the graph is symmetrical about the origin and crosses the x-axis at multiple points.

In this case, it is possible for the equation to have two different x values that yield the same F value. This is because the symmetry of the function allows for both positive and negative values of x to produce the same output. It is important to note that this does not mean the equation is incorrect or that there is an error in your calculations.

One way to approach this situation is to plot the function and visually analyze the points of intersection with the x-axis. This can help you identify the different x values that yield the same F value. Additionally, you could also consider using a numerical method, such as Newton's method, to find the approximate solutions for your equation.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation. Keep exploring and experimenting with your equation to gain a deeper understanding of its behavior. Good luck!

1. How do you solve an odd equation with two different x values for the same F?

To solve an odd equation with two different x values for the same F, you will need to use algebraic manipulation to isolate one of the x values. Then, you can plug in the known x value into the original equation to solve for the other x value. Alternatively, you can graph the equation and find the intersection point of the two lines.

2. Why are there two different x values for the same F in an odd equation?

This can occur when the equation is non-linear and has an odd degree (such as x^3 or x^5). These types of equations can have multiple solutions for the same output (F), resulting in two different x values.

3. Can an odd equation with two different x values for the same F have more than two solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an odd equation with two different x values for the same F to have more than two solutions. This is because the number of solutions is determined by the degree of the equation, and an odd degree can have an odd number of solutions.

4. Is there a specific method for solving an odd equation with two different x values for the same F?

There is no specific method for solving this type of equation, as it depends on the specific equation and its degree. However, some commonly used methods include algebraic manipulation, substitution, and graphing.

5. Can an odd equation with two different x values for the same F have imaginary solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an odd equation with two different x values for the same F to have imaginary solutions. This can occur when the equation involves complex numbers or when the solutions involve taking the square root of a negative number.