1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Problem

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate:
    6^1 + 6 ^ −1 / 6^1 − 6 ^ −1

2. Relevant equations
    Exponent Laws

3. The attempt at a solution
    6^1 + 6 ^ −1 / 6^1 − 6 ^ −1
    = 6^1 + 6 ^1 / 6^1 − 6 ^ 1 (I flipped the side - top or bottom - of the negative exponent numbers)
    =12/0

but i think i did it wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Any particular reason?
    Yup, I think that also.

4. Sep 9, 2015 #3
    Well I flipped it because you can't have negative exponents. Also how would you solve the problem?

5. Sep 9, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Planck's constant is 6.626x10-34J⋅s.

6. Sep 9, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who says you cannot have negative exponents? They occur everywhere, all the time.

Of course, I am not allowed to tell you how I would solve the problem, but I am allowed to give hints. The most important hint I can offer is for you to use parentheses, so you can keep things straight. The way you have written it reads as
    [tex] 6^1 + \frac{6^{-1}}{6^1} - 6^{-1} [/tex]
    if parsed according to standard rules for reading expressions. However, maybe you mean
    [tex] \frac{6^1 + 6^{-1}}{ 6^1 - 6^{-1}} [/tex]
    If the latter is what you want then you should write (6^1 + 6^(-1))/(6^1 - 6^(-1)), or [6^1 + 6^(-1)]/[6^1 - 6^(-1)] if you don't want too many "((" or "))" in a row. Note that I write 6^(-1), and not 6^-1, but those parentheses are probably not as important as the ones that delimit the numerator and denominator.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  7. Sep 10, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If your problem was, as Ray Vickson suggests, (6+ 6^(-1))/(6- 6^(-1))= (6+ 1/6)/(6- 1/6) then get rid of those "1/6" fractions by multiplying numerator and denominator by 6

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted