1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math problem

1. Nov 7, 2003 #1
    Ok here it is,

Show that the integral of

= -(1/2)ln(2sin(2θ)+2)+C

Now what I did was let u=sin(θ)+cos(θ) so that du=cos(θ)-sin(θ)dθ or that du=-(sin(θ)-cos(θ))dθ

Now I got the integral of

And then both of the sin(θ)-cos(θ) cancels out and I was left with the integral of

which is -ln|u|+C , plugging back what u was into that I got

which I cannot figure out to be equal to what he said it should be.

The only thing I can think of is the C's being different and that causing them to be equal. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Notice that their solution has a (1/2) out front. Try multiplying your solution by 2/2. (since 2/2 = 1, this doesn't change the solution)

Now, leave the (1/2) outside the logarithm, but use the power rule (n log a = log (a^n)) to pull the 2 inside the logarithm, and see if you can manipulate the result to get their answer. You'll probably be off by a multiplicative constant in the logarithm, but then you can use the fact that log ab = log a + log b to pull it out and absorb it into C.
  4. Nov 7, 2003 #3
    Of course mutliply by one. I always forget to multiply by 1, but I never forget to add 0. Thanks

Ok I now got to this answer

Now can I add -(1/2)ln(2)? And then pull the 2 inside the original log and make a new constant C? to get the answer I wanted of -(1/2)ln(2sin(2θ)+2)+C?
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  5. Nov 7, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?