Find the total charge. then decide whether you have an atom or an ion

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total charge of different atoms and determining whether they are atoms or ions. The solution involves understanding the charges of electrons and protons, and using this knowledge to solve the assignment. The types of atoms (anion, cation, neutral) depend on the total charge, and the examples given are all atoms.
Pre-AlgebraDude
I don't know much about science, but I got a problem on my math homework that says "find the total charge. then decide whether you have an atom or an ion".

Sodium:Electrons-10
Protons-11
Total Charge-?
Atom or Ion?-?

Sodium:Electrons-11
Protons-11
Total Charge-?
Atom or Ion?-?

Fluorine:Electrons-9
Protons-9
Total Charge-?
Atom or Ion?-?

Fluorine:Electrons-10
Protons-9
Total Charge-?
Atom or Ion?-?

Please reply asap. No, I'm not repeating myself. This is what it says.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey man, when you post from now on in the homework forums it helps to show some effort. Although, for this problem, the solution is fairly short so if you were able to show work you would probably have the answer.

Remember, the change on an electron is -1 and a proton has a charge of +1

So if I had an atom with 2 protons and 1 electron, I would have an atom with a total charge of +1.

Knowing this, you should be able to solve the rest of the assignment. It should also be noted that the answer as to what type of atom it is, depends on the total charge.

Anion => #electons > #protons
Cation => #electons < #protons
Neutral => #electons = #protons
--------------------------------
Therefore,
1) [tex] Na ^ {11 - 10} = Na ^ {+} [/tex] = Cation w/total charge = +1

2) [tex] Na ^ {11-11} = Na [/tex] = Neutral w/total charge = 0

3) [tex] F ^ {9-9} = F [/tex] = Neutral w/total charge = 0

4) [tex] F ^ {9 - 10} = F ^ {-} [/tex] = Anion w/total charge = -1

Btw, what do you atom/ion? Ions can be atoms..or molecules.
All your examples are atoms! But only two can be called ions...:wink:

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between an atom and an ion?

An atom is the basic unit of matter that cannot be broken down into smaller particles without losing its chemical properties. It is composed of protons, neutrons, and electrons. An ion, on the other hand, is a charged particle that forms when an atom gains or loses one or more electrons.

2. How do you find the total charge of an atom or an ion?

To find the total charge of an atom, you need to know the number of protons, which determines the atom's atomic number. The atomic number is equal to the number of electrons in a neutral atom. If the atom gains or loses electrons, the total charge can be calculated by subtracting or adding the number of electrons from the atomic number.

3. Can an atom have a charge?

No, an atom cannot have a charge. It is always electrically neutral, meaning the number of protons and electrons are equal, canceling out their charges.

4. What is the significance of finding the total charge of an atom or an ion?

Finding the total charge of an atom or an ion is important in understanding its chemical properties and behavior. It helps determine how the atom or ion will interact with other particles and molecules.

5. How does the total charge of an ion affect its stability?

The total charge of an ion affects its stability because the number of electrons determines the ion's chemical reactivity. Ions with a full outer energy level are more stable, while ions with an incomplete outer energy level are more reactive and tend to form chemical bonds with other ions or atoms to achieve a full outer energy level.