Proving the Maximum and Minimum Values of Absolute Value Functions

In summary, the OP is asking for help to find a value for |x-1| so that the inequality |x-1|<5 holds. He provides a hint that the maximum value of |x-1| is 3 and the minimum value is 2. He also asks for help in understanding why the inequality holds. Can you figure it out?
Physics news on Phys.org
silvashadow said:

well here it is what i would do, consider first the values of x,y<-1 and you will get
I x-1 I= -(x-1) and I y+1 I= -(y+1), in which case you would get -3+2 which is smaller than 5.
then -1<x,y<1, in which case you would get
Ix-1I= -(x-1) and for Iy+1I= y+1, see what happens now when you plug in?
and the other case would be x,y>1
In which case you would ged
Ix-1I=x-1 and Iy+1I=y+1 when you plug in see what u get.

Note; this is not exactly as i am saying but i did it in purporse, this is the idea, but just that you have to do it in a better order, like taking the values of x smaller/greater than sth first, and then those of y, etc

P.s.Show some work of yours first, and then maybe you will get some more help!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the maximum value of (x-1) / |x-1| ?

Since the OP hasn't shown up yet, i will give him/her some more hints.
Indeed, i will just pick up at what nicksauce suggested, it is shorter and nicer, look teh maximum value of [tex]\frac{(x-1)}{ abs{(x-1)}}[/tex], well the maximum here is 3.
Now look at the other part what is the minimum value of
[tex]2\frac{(y+1)}{abs(y+1)}[/tex], obviously it is -2, or you might want to look for the maximum of the:
[tex]-2\frac{(y+1)}{abs(y+1)}[/tex], which would be 2,
now going back to what you have to prove, why does that inequality hold?
Can you figure it out now, do u understand how it goes?

What is a math proof and why is it important?

A math proof is a logical and deductive reasoning that explains and supports a mathematical statement or theorem. It is important because it helps to verify the correctness of mathematical claims and provides a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and principles.

How do I approach solving a math proof homework problem?

First, make sure you understand the problem by reading it carefully and identifying any given information. Next, think about what mathematical concepts and techniques may be applicable. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. Finally, write out your solution clearly and logically, making sure to justify each step.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when writing a math proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a math proof include using incorrect assumptions, making unsupported claims, and using circular reasoning. It is important to carefully check each step and make sure it logically follows from the previous one.

How can I improve my skills in writing math proofs?

To improve your skills in writing math proofs, practice is key. Work on a variety of problems and seek feedback from your instructor or peers. It is also helpful to read and analyze well-written proofs to understand their structure and techniques. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with common mathematical definitions and theorems can aid in writing proofs.

What resources are available for help with math proof homework problems?

There are many resources available for help with math proof homework problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and math forums. Your instructor or teaching assistant can also provide guidance and clarification on specific problems. It is important to use these resources as tools for learning, rather than relying on them to simply give you the answers.