Proving x ≠ -1/y When x*y ≠ -1

• Thread starter wfc
  • Start date
In summary: Assuming it were true (which it isn't), the best way would be to do contraposition. It would then suffices to show that ##x/y = -1## implies ##xy = -1##.Can you explain why it isn't true?In summary, if x*y does not equal -1, then x/y does not equal -1.
wfc
How could you prove that if x*y ≠ -1, then x/y ≠ -1?

x*y ≠ -1 → x ≠ -1/y

I'm not sure where to go after that.

Likes FL0R1
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't prove it, because it isn't true. Can you find a couterexample ?

Assuming it were true (which it isn't), the best way would be to do contraposition. It would then suffices to show that ##x/y = -1## implies ##xy = -1##.

Can you explain why it isn't true? I'm still confused.

And where you say x/y = -1, then xy = -1, I can't come up with an example where that would work?

If you can't come up with an example where that would work, then that means it's false.

Likes wfc
What you need to find is an example of ## x,y ## such that ## x/y=-1 ## and ## xy\neq -1 ## .

Once you've done that you've proved that your initial statement ## (xy\neq -1\Rightarrow x/y\neq -1 )## is false

Likes wfc
wfc said:

x*y ≠ -1 → x ≠ -1/y

I'm not sure where to go after that.
if x ≠ -1/y then (-1/y)/y ≠ -1 -> here we go that -1 ≠ -1 so its not true

FL0R1 said:
if x ≠ -1/y then (-1/y)/y ≠ -1
No, this does not follow at all.

Last edited:
Likes jbstemp and wfc
wfc said:
Counterexample:

Put x = -2, y=2. Then x⋅y = -4 (which is not -1) and x/y = -1.

Svein said:
x⋅y = -4 (which is not -1)
You don't leave any stone unturned :)

wabbit said:
You don't leave any stone unturned :)
I am a mathematician. I have to turn them.

It would probably be easiest to first attempt to find a counterexample. (it's pretty easy, if you let x and y be numbers with the same absolute value but opposite signs)

If that for some reason turns out fruitless, you can attempt a proof. Contradiction is probably the easiest (because it's really saying the same thing as finding a specific counterexample!).

Instead of proving that for every x and y in the universe, xy ≠ -1 ⇒ x/y ≠ -1, the negated sentence is a bit easier to bite into: xy≠ -1 ∧ x/y = -1. Prove that two numbers x and y can't exist to make this true.

1. How can you prove that x ≠ -1/y when x*y ≠ -1?

The proof for this statement is based on the definition of division and the properties of real numbers. Essentially, we can show that if x*y = -1, then x must equal -1/y. Therefore, if x*y ≠ -1, it follows that x ≠ -1/y.

2. Why is it important to prove that x ≠ -1/y when x*y ≠ -1?

Proving this statement is important because it helps us understand the limitations of division and how to properly use it in mathematical equations. It also allows us to avoid making incorrect assumptions and reaching incorrect conclusions.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Yes, for instance, if we have the equation 2*y = -1, then we can solve for y to get y = -1/2. However, if 2*y ≠ -1, then we cannot solve for y in the same way and must consider other possibilities.

4. Are there any exceptions to this statement?

Yes, there are exceptions in certain mathematical systems, such as the complex numbers. In the complex numbers, it is possible for x and y to be non-zero values such that x*y = -1, but x ≠ -1/y due to the existence of imaginary numbers.

5. How can we apply this statement in real-life situations?

This statement can be applied in various ways, such as in finance and economics when dealing with interest rates and exchange rates. It can also be useful in physics and engineering when working with equations involving inverse relationships, such as force and distance.