1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math proof

1. Sep 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that any vector in a vector space V can be written as a linear combination of a basis set for that same space V.

2. Relevant equations
    http://linear.ups.edu/html/section-VS.html
    We are suppose to use the 10 rules in the above link, plus the fact that if you have a lineraly independent set
    {X1,X2,...,Xn} then -> c1X1+c2X2+...+cnXn = 0 vector implies that all the constants (c1,c2, etc) are zero.

Not looking for a complete solution, just not sure where to start. Ive tried proof by contradiction and a couple other ways and non have worked out for me.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Define "basis". (I know the usual definition, but what is the one YOU are using?)

4. Oct 5, 2016 #3
    My definition is a linearly independent set of N vectors, where N in the dimension of the space. My definition of dimension, N, is it the max number of mutually lineraly independant vectors possible.

5. Oct 5, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

So what can you say about a given vector? Can it be linearly independent from your basis? Or otherwise, what does it mean it can't?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted