Math Proofs Book: Basics for Beginners

In summary: Code=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0521597188" Euclid's Elements: A Translation with Commentary, by John R. Searle. A very good translation of the Elements with commentary.
alba_ei
im looking for a book that shows the fundamentals of proofs cause I am starting and i want to start with the basics. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Euclid

Hello, I'm a little new to this forum, but I thought I would venture a small recommendation as my first post:

http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/toc.html"

This classic text is well rendered on the link given. One cannot overestimate its historical importance - even Isaac Newton wrote his works in 'Elementary' fashion: http://members.tripod.com/~gravitee/toc.htm" . The Elements of Euclid are not difficult, but they do give you a taste of what mathematical proof entails. Once you get the feel of how an axiomatic system works, you can venture into more difficult texts that bring into relief the various methods.

For more modern texts, there are quite a few specialities - are you interested in logic, boolean algebra, set theory, number theory? The reason being is that many of these disciplines have their own methods, though all of them of course are analogous. If you are more interested in the philosophical aspects, of course there are other texts. The reason I ask is that it can be a little dry just reading 'how to prove something' without being interested in whether it is true or not.

I would simply read the classic works first - even the ancients, as they are classics for a reason - and then venture into deeper waters according to your interest.

The ability to prove something is perhaps the most seductive thing about mathematics - and some of the greatest mathematicians (such as Gauss) would prove some theorems in many different ways (as in the case of the Quadratic Residue theorem)!

In any case, good luck !

JJ +

PS> on a humorous note, I found this http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/science/maths-proofs.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a mathematical proof?

A mathematical proof is a logical argument that uses previously established facts and axioms to demonstrate the truth of a mathematical statement. It is used to verify the validity of a mathematical claim and to show that it holds true in all cases.

2. Why are mathematical proofs important?

Mathematical proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and systematic approach to solving problems and understanding mathematical concepts. They also help to establish the validity of mathematical theories and ensure the accuracy of mathematical calculations and results.

3. What are the key elements of a mathematical proof?

The key elements of a mathematical proof include a statement of the theorem or claim to be proven, a list of assumptions or axioms, a logical argument using deductive reasoning, and a conclusion that follows logically from the premises.

4. How do I write a mathematical proof?

To write a mathematical proof, start by clearly stating the theorem or statement to be proven. Then, list any relevant definitions, axioms, or previously established theorems that will be used in the proof. Next, present a logical argument step-by-step, using clear and concise language. Finally, conclude the proof by summarizing the main points and showing how the conclusion logically follows from the premises.

5. What are some tips for beginners to understand mathematical proofs?

Some tips for beginners to understand mathematical proofs include practicing regularly, breaking down complex proofs into smaller steps, using diagrams or examples to aid in understanding, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also important to have a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and notation before attempting to learn proofs.