1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math puzzle question

1. Jul 1, 2003 #1
    hi! i've got a puzzle.can u solve it?here it is:

a father has 90 apples.he has 3 children: A,B,and C.one day, the father told his children this:

Come here A, sell this 50 apples with the same procedure like your 2 brothers that result the same income
    Come here B, sell this 30 apples with the same procedure like your 2 brothers that result the same income
    Come here C, sell this 10 apples with the same procedure like your 2 brothers that result the same income

how can u sell it to have the same income between those three with the same procedure?

--------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ibnu Sina (Avicenna in the West)
    The Teacher of Kings

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2003 #2

MSI

as i understand i think each son could sell the apples for free so they will get the same income
    or:
    a=1/5 $ "for each apple"
    b=1/3 $
    c=1 $

am i right?
    because i feel i am in a bigggggg wrong

4. Jul 1, 2003 #3
    not quite right.giving for free is not selling.as i said, they have to sell it.and the 1/5,1/3,and the 1 $ thing is also not the answer.its not the same procedure. ifyou sell it like that, the procedure would not be the same.the procedure has to be the same.

--------------------
    [​IMG]
    The Teacher of Kings

5. Jul 1, 2003 #4
    well, how about exagerating and selling each apple for [oo] $ (or whatever currency they used)???

6. Jul 1, 2003 #5
    ow c'mon, what apple costs [oo] $ ? this a real thing and can be done in a real life too.and this doesn't has a connection wtih currencies.

--------------------
    [​IMG]
    The Teacher of Kings

7. Jul 1, 2003 #6
    What do you mean by procedure ?

8. Jul 1, 2003 #7

jb

sell them by the pound

9. Jul 1, 2003 #8
    I agree.

10. Jul 1, 2003 #9
    Each sell a bag of apples for $10.
    Each bag has all the apples given to each son.

11. Jul 1, 2003 #10
    guess my puzzle has some holes in it.i think it could be answered by daves answer, but thats not what i mean.well, i think i need to expose it, cause the inperfection of my puzzle that has been found by dave.my version is:

-put those apples in a bag with each bag contains 7 apples.sell it for 1 $
    -the rest of apples,sell it with 7 $

now u can calculate that

A= (1$ x 7 bags) + 3$ x 1 apple = 10$
    B= (1$ x 4 bags) + 3$ x 2 apples = 10$
    C= (1$ x 1 bag) + 3$ x 3 apples = 10$

thats it.good for u dave!
    --------------------
    [​IMG]
    The Teacher of Kings

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?