Math question can't figure it.

• Thread starter Gtotheiles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the problem involves finding the number of after lunch typing orders possible for a given set of letters, with one letter already typed before lunch. This can be done by calculating the number of combinations for each pile size and multiplying it by a factor that accounts for the position of the letter already typed. The final number can then be added to the total number of combinations for all pile sizes.
Gtotheiles
I've been working on this problem for near three days now, with two other people. We cannot completely figure it out :devil:

(a) In an office, at various times during the day, the boss gives the secretary a letter to type, each time putting the letter on top of the pile in the secretary's inbox. When there is time, the secretary takes the top letter off the pile and types it. There are nine letters to be typed during the day, and the boss delivers them in the order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. While leaving for lunch, the secretary tells a colleague that letter 8 has already been typed, but says nothing else about the morning's typing. The colleague wonders which of the nine letters remain to be typed after lunch and in what order they will be typed. Based upon the above information, how many such after lunch typing orders are possible? (That there are no letters left to be typed is one of the possibilities.)
(b) Suppose there are n letters in the problem above and letter (n - 1) has been typed. Write a general expression for the number of after lunch typing orders possible.

Like I said, we've been doing this one for a couple days. If the 9th letter is delivered before lunch, there are 256 possibilities. But that doesn't take into account it being delivered after lunch, which is the part we cannot figure out. We think you have to find some type of formula that involves combinations, but we're not 100%. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gtotheiles said:
I've been working on this problem for near three days now, with two other people. We cannot completely figure it out :devil:

(a) In an office, at various times during the day, the boss gives the secretary a letter to type, each time putting the letter on top of the pile in the secretary's inbox. When there is time, the secretary takes the top letter off the pile and types it. There are nine letters to be typed during the day, and the boss delivers them in the order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. While leaving for lunch, the secretary tells a colleague that letter 8 has already been typed, but says nothing else about the morning's typing. The colleague wonders which of the nine letters remain to be typed after lunch and in what order they will be typed. Based upon the above information, how many such after lunch typing orders are possible? (That there are no letters left to be typed is one of the possibilities.)
(b) Suppose there are n letters in the problem above and letter (n - 1) has been typed. Write a general expression for the number of after lunch typing orders possible.

Like I said, we've been doing this one for a couple days. If the 9th letter is delivered before lunch, there are 256 possibilities. But that doesn't take into account it being delivered after lunch, which is the part we cannot figure out. We think you have to find some type of formula that involves combinations, but we're not 100%. Help please?

Start by considering only letters #1 through #7. A pile of any given size has only one typing order, so all you need to know is the number of combinations possible for any size pile.

A pile of size 1 could have any of 7 letters in it. A pile of size 2 can have any compination of the 7 letters taken 2 at a time. A pile of size 3 can have any combination of 7 letters taken 3 at a time. etc., etc. up to size 7. Without letter #9, the total number of possilble combinations (and possible orders) is the sum of all combinations of 7 things taken x at a time for x from 0 to 7. If #9 were already in the pile, it would be all possible combinations of 8 things taken x at a time for x from 0 to 8, and your number 2^8 = 256 would be the correct answer. With only letters #1 through #7 considered it is 2^7 = 128, which is the sum of 8 terms corresponding to piles of size 0 through 7.

What you have to do is figure out how many ways letter #9 could fit into each size pile containing letters from among the first 7. For example, if letters from among #1 through #7 were in a pile of size 3, how many positions could #9 be put into that pile? Each of the 8 terms in the sum of combinations of 7 things taken x at a time is going to be multiplied by a factor that increases with pile size. I'll leave it to you to find those factors and add up the results.

Thank you. We actually figured it out about an hour after I posted, but it turns out we used the method you described. Thanks man!

1. Why do some math questions seem impossible to solve?

Some math questions may seem impossible to solve because they involve complex concepts and require advanced problem-solving skills. Additionally, the way the question is presented may make it difficult to understand or approach.

2. How can I improve my ability to solve math questions?

To improve your ability to solve math questions, practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common problem-solving strategies. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher to learn new techniques and approaches.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a math question?

If you get stuck on a math question, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh mind. You can also try breaking the question down into smaller parts or seeking help from a classmate or teacher.

4. Is it okay to make mistakes when solving math questions?

Absolutely! Making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process in math, and it can help you identify areas where you need to improve. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.

5. How can I check if my answer to a math question is correct?

You can check your answer to a math question by plugging it back into the original problem or by using a calculator. You can also ask someone else to check your work or compare your answer to the answer key, if available.