1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math question on limits; Invariance Principle

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi Guys,

This is the first exampe from Engel's problem solving book. After a long period of no math I am self studying. I do not know where my knowledge deficits lie, and was recommended this site for help.

"E1. Starting with a point S (a, b) of the plane with 0 < b < a, we generate a sequence of points (xn, yn) according to the rule x0 = a, y0 = b, xn+1 =(xn + yn) / 2 and yn+1 = (2xnyn) / (xn + yn).

Here it is easy to find an invariant. From (xn+1yn+1) = xnyn, for all n we deduce xnyn = ab for all n. This is the invariant we are looking for. Initially, we have y0 < x0. This relation also remains invariant. Indeed, suppose yn < xn for some n. Then xn+1 is the midpoint of the segment with endpoints yn, xn. Moreover, yn+1 < xn+1 since the harmonic mean is strictly less than the arithmetic mean.

Thus,
    0 < xn+1 − yn+1 = [(xn − yn) / (xn + yn)] * [(xn − yn) / 2] < (xn − yn) / 2
    for all n. So we have limxn = lim yn = x with x2 = ab or x = √ab.

Here the invariant helped us very much, but its recognition was not yet the
    solution, although the completion of the solution was trivial."

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot figure out the bit in bold at all. It says lim xn = lim yn, but where does this come from? From a cursory look at the definition of a limt, is it simply since |xn+1 - yn+1| < (xn-yn)/2, we find that for all N>n, that xn+1 and yn+1 are limits of each other?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2
    Shouldn't this be in the math section ? I don't see any harmonic motion here.................
    [EDIT:- I now realize that perhaps you intend those n's and (n+1)'s to be in the subscript, you can easily do that from the post template......]

4. Apr 26, 2015 #3
    I made the changes.

I was not aware this is not harmonic motion question (I assumed the sequence was following a harmonic motion) but I didn't realise there was a precise definition. I will move this to math section.

5. Apr 26, 2015 #4
    Quite alright. "To err is to human" eh!
    Cheers :)

6. Apr 26, 2015 #5
    Thanks

7. Apr 26, 2015 #6
    Now, do you know anything about limits?

8. Apr 26, 2015 #7
    Think geometrically. What is feature of the two points ##x_{n+1}## and ##y_{n+1}## is different (or has changed) from the points ##x_n## and ##y_n##
    [EDIT:- and what happens to this "feature" if you keep creating these new points ad infinitum ? that is to say what happens "in the limit".]

9. Apr 26, 2015 #8
    Xn gets larger while Yn gets smaller to preserve the fact that XnYn =ab right?

10. Apr 26, 2015 #9
    Precisely........now if you keep doing this what will happen eventually i.e "what will happen in the limit" ?
    [EDIT:- Geometrically speaking you can imagine ##X_n## and ##Y_n## as two points slowly approaching each other from opposite directions on the number line, one gets bigger, the other gets smaller....... they keep getting closer to one another after each iteration]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  11. Apr 26, 2015 #10
    Not much I am afraid. I know that a sequence goes to a limit if it gets closer and closer as the index goes up

12. Apr 26, 2015 #11
    It will get closer and closer to something for the limit to exist, otherwise it would just go to infinity....... am I right?
    [EDIT:- now think of what that "something" is in the original question. Also see edit to post #9]

13. Apr 26, 2015 #12
    Ah ok! I get it now, they will approach each other due to the invariant nature of their relation ship XnYn=ab. So their limit can be denoted arbitrarily by X. And the limit of their products is then just the product of their limits which implies X2 = ab

Thank you for your help you have helped in my journey; much appreciated!

14. Apr 26, 2015 #13
    Well done......you solved it.
    Also this was a good intro to limits ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted