Finding the Value of m and k to Reach an Average of 7.3

In summary: The solution is a subset of the points on that line that belong to the set of natural numbers.AMI don't think there is a way of doing it algebraically. The solution is the set of values of k,m belonging to the set of natural numbers, that satisfy the relation: 7m + 17k = 207 Algebra will give you the set of...all real numbers - ie. all points on the line. The solution is a subset of the points on that line that belong to the set of natural numbers.
preet
The integers from 1 to 9 are listed on a blackboard. If an additional m eights and k nines are added to the list, the average of all of the number is the list is 7.3. The value of k+m is

a)24 b)21 c)11 d)31

I got as far as (45+8m+9k) / (9+m+k) = 7.3
What do I do now?
TiA!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cross multiply and use the fact that the "old" numerator must be a whole/integer number.That should tell u something about the "old" denominator.
U'll have to solve simple 2-2 algebraic systems...In N.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Cross multiply and use the fact that the "old" numerator must be a whole/integer number.That should tell u something about the "old" denominator.
U'll have to solve simple 2-2 algebraic systems...In N.
You mean to say that there is a method for solving this other than trial and error?

AM

I am doing a unit on such systems in math. I do not see a solution that does not involve simplifying the equation you have and solving with the equations the answers suggest and seeing which one works out.

Andrew Mason said:
You mean to say that there is a method for solving this other than trial and error?

AM

In this case it's a finite sequence of 2-2 systems of (simple) algebraic equations.If you want to call it trial & error,b my guest. :smile: To me those words mean something like "guessing"... :tongue2: It's not the case here.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
In this case it's a finite sequence of 2-2 systems of (simple) algebraic equations.If you want to call it trial & error,b my guest. :smile: To me those words mean something like "guessing"... :tongue2: It's not the case here.
One way of doing this without guessing is to draw a solution of the equation (in this case: .7m + 1.7k = 20.7) on graph paper (with each graph line representing one unit of k or m). The solution lies where m > 0, k>0 and the line passes through an intersection of vertical and horizontal graph lines (which represent points where m and k are natural numbers).

AM

Sure,Andrew,you're right.Such method would work.But I'm sure the OP's initial idea was to solve this problem by an algebraic method... :wink:

Daniel.

preet said:
The integers from 1 to 9 are listed on a blackboard. If an additional m eights and k nines are added to the list, the average of all of the number is the list is 7.3. The value of k+m is

a)24 b)21 c)11 d)31

I got as far as (45+8m+9k) / (9+m+k) = 7.3
What do I do now?
TiA!
Well, only four choices. Just enter them into your calc. and see which one is correct. You couldn't get an easier question than this.

That is: Check which answer gives allowable values for m and k.

Last edited:
That's an EVIL answer... :tongue2: 666 posts... :rolleyes:

Daniel.

P.S.You should do something about it,pretty fast... :tongue2:

dextercioby said:
That's an EVIL answer... :tongue2: 666 posts... :rolleyes::
MUHAHAHAHWAHAHAHWHAWHAHWAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I still don't understand what to do... I don't really care for the calculation method (checking the answers), but I don't know how to do that either. How do I solve it algebraically?

I've already told u.See post #2.Basically,the denominator has to be a multiple of 10,because,when multiplied with 7.3,it would yield a natural number,as the numerator is.So you have to set the denominator equal to 10,20,30,...For each equation,u'll get one for the numerator as well,since the ratio must be 7.3
In this way you generate a series of simple systems 2 (eq.)-2 (unknowns).

Daniel.

preet said:
I still don't understand what to do... I don't really care for the calculation method (checking the answers), but I don't know how to do that either. How do I solve it algebraically?
I don't think there is a way of doing it algebraically. The solution is the set of values of k,m belonging to the set of natural numbers, that satisfy the relation: 7m + 17k = 207 Algebra will give you the set of all real numbers - ie. all points on the line. The solution is a subset of the points on that line that belong to the set of natural numbers.

The only way I can see of doing it is to draw the relation on paper (with m as the horizontal and k as the vertical axes, say). It is a line with slope k/m = -7/17. If you do it on graph paper, the intersection of the line with the intersection of any of the graph lines, will provide a solution.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I don't think there is a way of doing it algebraically. The solution is the set of values of k,m belonging to the set of natural numbers, that satisfy the relation: 7m + 17k = 207 Algebra will give you the set of all real numbers - ie. all points on the line. The solution is a subset of the points on that line that belong to the set of natural numbers.

The only way I can see of doing it is to draw the relation on paper (with m as the horizontal and k as the vertical axes, say). It is a line with slope k/m = -7/17. If you do it on graph paper, the intersection of the line with the intersection of any of the graph lines, will provide a solution.

AM

What?

1.Denominator 10,numerator 73.System:

[tex] m+k=1;8m+9k=28 [/tex]
Doesn't have solution:

2.Denominator 20,numerator 146.Sytem:
[tex] m+k=11;8m+9k=101 [/tex]

k=13,m=-2.Doesn't work.

3.Denominator 30,numerator 219.Sytem:
[tex] m+k=21;8m+9k=174 [/tex]

k=6;m=15.Does work."21" is a valid solution.

4.Denominator 40,numerator 292.Sytem:
[tex] m+k=31;8m+9k=247 [/tex]

Doesn't have solution in N.

If this ain't algebraic solution,then WHAT IS...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
What?

1.Denominator 10,numerator 73.System:

[tex] m+k=1;8m+9k=28 [/tex]
Doesn't have solution:

2.Denominator 20,numerator 146.Sytem:
[tex] m+k=11;8m+9k=101 [/tex]

k=13,m=-2.Doesn't work.

3.Denominator 30,numerator 219.Sytem:
[tex] m+k=21;8m+9k=174 [/tex]

k=6;m=15.Does work."21" is a valid solution.

4.Denominator 40,numerator 292.Sytem:
[tex] m+k=31;8m+9k=247 [/tex]

Doesn't have solution in N.

If this ain't algebraic solution,then WHAT IS...?
I'd call it 'trial and error'.

AM

Your call.I'd call it the most rigurous nongeometric solution one might get.

Daniel.

Thanks for the help

1. How do you determine the value of m and k to reach an average of 7.3?

To find the values of m and k, you need to first have a set of data and their corresponding averages. Then, using a mathematical formula, you can calculate the values of m and k that will result in an average of 7.3. This formula involves using the sum of the data, the number of data points, and the desired average.

2. Can the values of m and k be negative?

Yes, the values of m and k can be negative. This means that some of the data points will have a negative impact on the overall average, while others will have a positive impact. It is important to consider the context of the data when interpreting negative values of m and k.

3. What is the significance of finding the value of m and k to reach an average of 7.3?

Finding the values of m and k to reach an average of 7.3 is important in understanding the overall trend or pattern of the data. It can help identify any outliers or anomalies in the data and determine the overall direction or magnitude of change over time.

4. Is there a specific method for finding the value of m and k to reach an average of 7.3?

Yes, there is a specific mathematical formula that can be used to find the values of m and k. However, there may be variations in the formula depending on the type of data and the specific context of the problem. It is important to consult with a statistician or use a reliable statistical software for accurate results.

5. Can the value of m and k change over time?

Yes, the values of m and k can change over time. This may be due to changes in the data or the underlying factors affecting the data. It is important to regularly reassess and update the values of m and k to accurately reflect the current state of the data.