Figuring Carpet Price: A Discrepancy in Charges?

• Thread starter zy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the price for carpet that is being sold for $6.95 per square yard. The carpet measures 29 feet by 11 feet, and the question is how to accurately determine the price. The conversation also mentions a possible discrepancy in the price that was charged. The expert suggests dividing the area (29 feet by 11 feet) by 9 to get the number of square yards, and then multiplying by $6.95. The conversation also includes some discussion about the possibility of the carpet company rounding up the measurements and charging for scrap pieces. Finally, the expert advises contacting the store to clarify the bill.
zy
I had carpet laid and it sells for 6.95 a sq yard the carpet is 29 feet by 11 feet. Can you tell me how to figure the price. There seems to be a discrepancy in what I was charged. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]1 foot=\frac{1}{3}yard[/tex]
Thus, [tex]29f.*11f.=29*\frac{1}{3}yrd*11*\frac{1}{3}yrd=\frac{29*11}{9}sq.yrd[/tex]
Can you take it from there?

Square Yards

zy said:
I had carpet laid and it sells for 6.95 a sq yard the carpet is 29 feet by 11 feet. Can you tell me how to figure the price. There seems to be a discrepancy in what I was charged. Thanks
There are 9 square feet per square yard. You might also consider that the carpet company may round up the figure because of scrap. You carpet for instance could have been cut from a piece 30 feet by 12 feet. This would have left a couple of pieces only 1 foot wide that they would be unable to use elsewhere so you would likely be charged for them as well.

HTH,
Clay
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world --
...Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

C1ay said:
Doesn't 1 foot = 1/9 yard?
No, think again.

1 square foot = 1/9 sq yards, true

but its different than saying 1 foot = 1/9 yards (false)

1 foot = 1/3 yards.

C1ay said:
Yes 1/3 of a linear yard is one foot but the question is about area. Now, isn't 1 sq. ft = 1/9 of a sq. yard?
Wherever did I deny that 1 square foot=1/9 square yard?
I have used 1 yard*1 yard= 1 square yard.

Rather than posting stupid comments, read what has been actually written.

Last edited:
hmmm

so i go 29 x 11 / 9 and then I multiply that by 6.95 because if that's right be and that carpet fellow got some explaining to do! Looks like over charged me 100 dollars

yeesh

pardon my grammar LOL and a big thanks for the help!

zy said:
so i go 29 x 11 / 9 and then I multiply that by 6.95 because if that's right be and that carpet fellow got some explaining to do! Looks like over charged me 100 dollars
You should pay somewhat above 200 dollars, I think..

yes

Yes about $246 not including his labor. its only 100 dollars but it irks me lol ok thanks everyone. Have a good day.

Unless...

zy said:
Yes about $246 not including his labor. its only 100 dollars but it irks me lol ok thanks everyone. Have a good day.
He may have charged you for a full 30 x 12 foot piece at $278. Did you notice if he has a minimum, like 40 or 50 sq. yards? Some of the carpet houses here have a minimum on the installation because they don't want to install small amounts like 5 yards unless it is worth the trip.

minimums

I don't know but in posting this I rounded up it was originally 28 ft 8 inches x 10 ft x 4 inches so I doubt he charged me for more than 29 by 11 Thanks!

But...

zy said:
I don't know but in posting this I rounded up it was originally 28 ft 8 inches x 10 ft x 4 inches so I doubt he charged me for more than 29 by 11 Thanks!
I think carpet comes on a 12 foot roll. If this is true I cannot imagine why they would not charge for a full cut across since the remaining edge piece would be a waste. As for the 29 feet they may charge by the even yard only of which the next increment is 30 feet or 10 yards. I have even noticd this at some fabric stores. I don't know that any of this is the case in your case, I'm just suggesting reasons you might look for. The easiest solution is just to call the store and ask them to explain the bill.

1. How is the price of carpet determined?

The price of carpet is determined by several factors, including the type and quality of the carpet, the size of the area to be covered, and any additional services such as installation or padding. In the case of "Figuring Carpet Price: A Discrepancy in Charges," the discrepancy in charges may be due to incorrect measurements or hidden fees.

2. What is the difference between the initial quote and the final price?

The initial quote for carpet may only include the cost of the carpet itself, while the final price may include other fees such as installation, padding, or delivery. In some cases, the initial quote may also be based on estimated measurements, which can result in a higher final price if the actual measurements are different.

3. How can I ensure that I am getting a fair price for carpet?

To ensure that you are getting a fair price for carpet, it is important to get multiple quotes from different companies and to compare the types, quality, and additional services included in each quote. Additionally, make sure to carefully review the measurements and any potential hidden fees to avoid any discrepancies in charges.

4. What should I do if I believe I have been overcharged for carpet?

If you believe you have been overcharged for carpet, it is important to first review your initial quote and final price to identify any discrepancies. If you still believe you have been overcharged, you can contact the company and politely discuss your concerns and any evidence you have to support your claim. If necessary, you can also seek assistance from consumer protection agencies.

5. Is it common for there to be discrepancies in carpet charges?

While discrepancies in carpet charges can occur, they are not necessarily common. It is important to carefully review all quotes and final prices to ensure accuracy and fairness. If you do come across a discrepancy, it is important to address it with the company to find a resolution.