1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math questions

1. Dec 21, 2014 #1
    when solving 4 = 2(x + 2) + 2, I noticed that only get a correct answer when subtracting the two before dividing the other two.why is this? I'm also confused about solving x - 3 = (x - 3)^2. You can get the right answer by setting it equal to 0. You then get two answers. If you just divide both sides by x - 3 and continue solving, you only get one answer. Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you divide both sides by 2, you get 2 = (x + 2) + 1, so that's a valid step, but a little longer than if you had subtracted 2 from each side as the first step.
    If you bring all terms to one side, you get (x - 3)2 - (x - 3) = 0, which I suppose is what you mean by "setting it equal to 0." One way to continue is to factor the left side, which results in (x - 3)[x - 3 - 1] = 0, or (x - 3)(x - 4) = 0. The solutions are x = 3 or x = 4.

The wrong way to do this is to divide by x - 3. If it turns out that x = 3 is a solution, then x - 3 = 0, so you're dividing by zero, which is not allowed. If you do this division, you get x - 3 = 1, or x = 4, so you have lost one of the solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook