1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math reading recommendations?

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    Hi all, I'm a graduating senior and I'm interested in covering and recovering mathematics to the calculus level. I've been feeling that all of my math courses to this point, high school and before, haven't really taught me much of anything in the way of real mathematics. I was looking for some recommended reading that would cover precalculus topics, such as algebra and trig, and some lower level calculus.

I've heard good things about Gelfand's Trigonometry and perhaps Algebra as well, but not much outside of that. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2
    There's a good series (Dover, I think) that produces a "teach yourself ....."

I used it for Differential Calculus (exclusively, never took a "real" course) and it's held up through the full Calculus sequence, Diff Eq, Linear Algebra, and all my physics courses.

I'd recommend it, definitely.

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    There's a precalculus book that came out recently, by Axler. I don't like his style, but I was impressed with the book.

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Mar 11, 2009 #5
    It's something very personal, how he bashes determinants and how he explains the concepts. But he's a good writer. You shouldn't be concerned about my taste, it's unlikely that you will feel the same thing.

7. Mar 12, 2009 #6
    Good, i'll look in to it. Any others?

8. Mar 12, 2009 #7
    leithold... the calculus 7.
    pretty much the standard calculus book. explains things so well without losing the proofs and such.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook