What are some recommended readings for precalculus and lower level calculus?

• Thread starter Poisonous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for books that cover precalculus and lower level calculus topics. Gelfand's Trigonometry and Algebra are mentioned as good options, as well as a series by Dover that is highly praised for self-study. The book "Troponin" by Axler is also recommended, but one person didn't like the author's style. Another suggestion is "The Calculus 7" by Leithold, which is considered a standard calculus book with clear explanations and proofs.
Poisonous
Hi all, I'm a graduating senior and I'm interested in covering and recovering mathematics to the calculus level. I've been feeling that all of my math courses to this point, high school and before, haven't really taught me much of anything in the way of real mathematics. I was looking for some recommended reading that would cover precalculus topics, such as algebra and trig, and some lower level calculus.

I've heard good things about Gelfand's Trigonometry and perhaps Algebra as well, but not much outside of that. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a good series (Dover, I think) that produces a "teach yourself ..."

I used it for Differential Calculus (exclusively, never took a "real" course) and it's held up through the full Calculus sequence, Diff Eq, Linear Algebra, and all my physics courses.

I'd recommend it, definitely.

There's a precalculus book that came out recently, by Axler. I don't like his style, but I was impressed with the book.

Poisonous said:
Unknot:

Is this the text? https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471614432/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What didn't you like about the style?

It's something very personal, how he bashes determinants and how he explains the concepts. But he's a good writer. You shouldn't be concerned about my taste, it's unlikely that you will feel the same thing.

Good, i'll look into it. Any others?

leithold... the calculus 7.
pretty much the standard calculus book. explains things so well without losing the proofs and such.

1. What are the best books for learning advanced math concepts?

Some recommended books for learning advanced math concepts include "Introduction to Topology" by Bert Mendelson, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, and "Real and Complex Analysis" by Walter Rudin.

2. Are there any books that can help me improve my problem-solving skills in math?

Yes, some books that can help improve problem-solving skills in math include "How to Solve It" by George Polya, "The Art and Craft of Problem Solving" by Paul Zeitz, and "Problem-Solving Strategies" by Arthur Engel.

3. Are there any books that explain math concepts in a more visual or intuitive way?

Yes, some books that use visual or intuitive explanations for math concepts include "The Joy of x" by Steven Strogatz, "The Number Devil" by Hans Magnus Enzensberger, and "A Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart.

4. Can you recommend any books for improving my math skills for standardized tests?

Some books that can help improve math skills for standardized tests include "The Official SAT Study Guide" by The College Board, "Barron's SAT Math Workbook" by Lawrence S. Leff, and "The Princeton Review Math Workout for the SAT" by Princeton Review.

5. What are some books that include interesting real-world applications of math?

Some books that include interesting real-world applications of math include "The Music of the Primes" by Marcus du Sautoy, "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" by Paul Hoffman, and "Fermat's Enigma" by Simon Singh.