What Additional Math Skills Are Essential for Studying Undergrad Optics?

• Thread starter torquemada
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary math prerequisites for an optics class, including calculus, linear algebra, and knowledge of Bessel functions and electromagnetic theory. The recommended textbook is Hecht's "Optics", but using the professor's notes may also be helpful.
torquemada
My physics dept offers an optics class with the following descriptive summary:

Geometric optics, periodic and non-periodic waves; Doppler effect; interference and diffraction, diffraction gratings; theory of polarization of light; fiber optics and introduction to lasersIt says the math you need is just calc sequence through multivariable calc, and only part of vector calc, not all of it.

My physics program doesn't require a linear algebra course, so i don't trust them. is there any other math i should know of that i'll need for undergrad optics, given the topics listed above? thanks

also does anyone know of a good undergrad optics text? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll probably fall over Bessel function in diffraction. Some electromagnetic theory might also help. I think you should do fine with the math you listed.
A very good undergraduate textbook for Optics: Hecht's "Optics". I think it covers all what you listed (small doubt about lasers but I'm 96.7% sure it covers it a bit at least).

I recommend some basic linear algebra, especially matrix multiplication, in addition to the listed mathematical prerequisites. Then you should be set. :)

fluidistic said:
You'll probably fall over Bessel function in diffraction. Some electromagnetic theory might also help. I think you should do fine with the math you listed.
A very good undergraduate textbook for Optics: Hecht's "Optics". I think it covers all what you listed (small doubt about lasers but I'm 96.7% sure it covers it a bit at least).

Thanks to you and all who replied. Do you mean though intro E&M or is it better to take advanced E&M before optics?

You'll need to know how to multiply matrices for polarization problems, Fourier series and transforms, basic surface integral in polar coordinates, and some idea of Bessel functions for all the non-geometric optics. For geometric optics a solid command of the sine theorem, basic trig etc. is sufficient. You should know all the basics of EM theory and EM waves though, that will help.

Hecht seems to be the standard, but I'd go with whatever your professor basis his notes off of.

1. What level of math is required for studying optics?

A strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is necessary for understanding the principles of optics. However, higher level math such as calculus and linear algebra are also used extensively in the field.

2. Do I need to be proficient in calculus to study optics?

While a basic understanding of calculus is necessary for certain concepts in optics, it is not a requirement to be proficient in it. Many introductory courses in optics will cover the necessary calculus concepts.

3. Are there any specific math courses that are recommended for studying optics?

In addition to algebra and trigonometry, it is helpful to have taken courses in geometry, calculus, and linear algebra. These courses provide a strong foundation for understanding the mathematical concepts in optics.

4. Can I study optics if I am not good at math?

While a strong understanding of math is essential for studying optics, it is possible to improve your math skills through practice and dedication. Many universities also offer resources such as tutoring services to help students succeed in their math courses.

5. How important is math in the field of optics?

Math is a fundamental aspect of optics and is used to describe and analyze the behavior of light. A solid understanding of math is necessary for developing new theories and technologies in optics, and for solving real-world problems in the field.