Exploring REU Opportunities: Join the Discussion

In summary: I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.I heard that all spots were filled by Sunday night, so I'm not sure if Small makes offers in a certain order.
I would do the program that fits best with your interests. I think it is important that grad school sees you have a major interest in some certain area and are pursuing research in that area. From what I've heard they care more about that then about the prestige of one school where you did research.

Physics news on Phys.org
bksmith3 said:
I would do the program that fits best with your interests. I think it is important that grad school sees you have a major interest in some certain area and are pursuing research in that area. From what I've heard they care more about that then about the prestige of one school where you did research.

Mm. Of course you're right. But I like both research programs pretty much equally. I'm split about which of the program structures I prefer. Bloomington is nicer than Auburn, but the faculty at Auburn seem really easy to work with. I need a tiebreaker.

hah I see. Well I would think Indiana is more prestigious then... though they both seem like great programs so its hard to say.

i'm hoping to get accepted to Bard! I really want to do their mathematical neuroscience project.

I just got rejected by WPI :(

There is a point at which choosing the REU you will attend from a pool of offers is a bit of a crap shoot. No amount of Internet research will give you every little detail. There is an element of luck whether or not you end up in a good program and get good results.

Your best bet is to attend a program that suits your interest. Being able to actually talk about your research and gain a deep understanding of the problem is much more important than the perceived "prestige" of the school. Nobody will care if you went to Cornell, Duluth, etc. if it's evident you can't have a decent conversation regarding your work.

Even if you don't publish, don't consider it a failure. I met many players in my chosen field when I attended my REU and the conferences that followed it. My REU advisor has colleagues at a lot of places across the country, and I got into almost all of those schools. I attribute this to the fact that I formed a great relationship with my advisor and his letters of recommendation meant a lot.

Have fun! And don't spend the whole summer drinking and partying.

I hate to pester but I just thought I'd ask again: has anyone heard from Mount Holyoke or San Bernardino? The last I heard they were sorting applications and what not but no offers have been made. But this was a week or two ago.

^My friend got an offer to Mount Holyoke.

Has anyone had luck with late offers? What is the standard waiting time?

ridingonlove said:
Has anyone had luck with late offers? What is the standard waiting time?

Email anyone you're unsure about. I did and apparently I now have to think about Iowa State too. <- silly complaints

aesshen said:
Email anyone you're unsure about. I did and apparently I now have to think about Iowa State too. <- silly complaints

I don't get it. Are some places withholding offers from applicants, then?

ridingonlove said:
I don't get it. Are some places withholding offers from applicants, then?

I have no idea, though "withholding" sounds a bit much. I just emailed them and got a favorable reply.

Hey so who else got into UCLA RIPS! I think that's where I will be going this summer.

Sometimes they are still in the process of making decisions, but if they get emailed by a strong applicant they are considering, they will make them an offer, rather than risk that they would just go with another program. Also, if you email a program, you are showing that you are interested specifically in that REU, rather than you just sent them an app along with 15 others.

honumana said:
Hey so who else got into UCLA RIPS! I think that's where I will be going this summer.

Hey when did you get the offer?

azrail911 said:
Hey when did you get the offer?

Hmmm. A few weeks ago I believe. But, I'm under the impression that they aren't done accepting people yet. One of my friends hasn't heard back from them either way yet.

I'm being offered a position at an REU this summer. I have to accept or decline in about a week. I want to ask my first choice for REU about my status or if they're still considering me. Is it impolite to either program, to let my first choice know what REU program is offering me a position or is it necessary that I be specific?

math.py said:
I'm being offered a position at an REU this summer. I have to accept or decline in about a week. I want to ask my first choice for REU about my status or if they're still considering me. Is it impolite to either program, to let my first choice know what REU program is offering me a position or is it necessary that I be specific?

When I was in a similar situation, I called/e-mailed a few schools that I was still interested in. I would highly recommend doing this. It does a few things. First, it let's that program know that other schools want you! Second, it let's the program know that even though you've been accepted somewhere else, you are more interested in their program. Third, instead of being a name on a list you will be brought to the attention of the people in charge. :) Also, congratulations on the acceptance :).

Also, in regards to letting your first choice know about which program you were accepted into. If they ask, you might as well tell them :).

has anyone heard back form georgia tech?

math.py said:

You should email your first choice program and just politely explain that you have to reply to another program in a week, but your first choice program is, well, your first choice, so you are wondering if it is at all possible to get an accelerated decision; maybe emphasize that you understand if it's not and don't want to push them, but you just thought you'd ask.

I did that this semester and ended up getting an offer from my first choice program before the deadline had even passed. I didn't specify in my email the names of the programs I had already been accepted to.

zpconn said:
You should email your first choice program and just politely explain that you have to reply to another program in a week, but your first choice program is, well, your first choice, so you are wondering if it is at all possible to get an accelerated decision; maybe emphasize that you understand if it's not and don't want to push them, but you just thought you'd ask.

I did that this semester and ended up getting an offer from my first choice program before the deadline had even passed. I didn't specify in my email the names of the programs I had already been accepted to.

Yeah, I went ahead and did that. I also emailed other programs that had not responded and told them my situation... I've never had so many rejections in such a short time! My first choice is going to let me know by tomorrow, though. So tomorrow I will finally know what I'm doing this summer.

honumana said:

I'll be at UCLA RIPS too. I only hope that I get a decent project, some of them strike me as entirely mundane.

I'm in the process of filling out an application and it asks for a statement of purpose, but there's no details about what they want (other than picking projects I'm most interested in). So what type of information do they usually want? And is a couple of paragraphs usually sufficient?

a statement of purpose is just that; stating what your purpose in applying to their program is.

i generally wrote mine with 3 paragraphs:
1) how i got started in math
2) why I'm interested in doing research
3) why i would be a good pick for their program or specifically their projects

What do you mean by a start in math? I thought they weren't interested in childhood stories and stuff like that.

And I'm not really sure what could make me a good pick other than being a bright and interested student, lol, but I guess I can work that out.

PhDorBust said:
I'll be at UCLA RIPS too. I only hope that I get a decent project, some of them strike me as entirely mundane.

I am curious also. Who knows, we might even end up working on the same project. :)

honumana said:
I am curious also. Who knows, we might even end up working on the same project. :)

hey just wondering, what is your math background? :)

I haven't heard back from anyone (except Cornell, who rejected me), so I suppose I'm not on any first-wave acceptances. To be sure, has anyone heard from OSU, Fairfield, Claremont, or CSUCI?

Also, I'm not really sure what to do if I don't get into a math REU this summer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ebola1717 said:
I haven't heard back from anyone (except Cornell, who rejected me), so I suppose I'm not on any first-wave acceptances. To be sure, has anyone heard from OSU, Fairfield, Claremont, or CSUCI?

Also, I'm not really sure what to do if I don't get into a math REU this summer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I received an e-mail from Fairfield stating that they had filled all their positions already.

If you don't get into any of them you should talk to some of the professors at your school and see if they have anything available over the summer. It probably won't be paid research but its better than nothing.

sutupidmath said:
Has anyone heard back from any of the REU's you've applied yet?

I've heard back from 4. I've been rejected by 4. I have 7 more to go.

Carleton
Cornell
Princeton
William & Mary

Newtime said:
Has anyone heard from Indiana, Mount Holyoke or UC San Bernardino recently?

No, I'm still waiting.

shelovesmath said:
I've heard back from 4. I've been rejected by 4. I have 7 more to go.

Carleton
Cornell
Princeton
William & Mary

William & Mary sent decisions? I guess I wasn't even good enough for a proper rejection.

Has anybody received an acceptance from WPI? Moreover, I wonder why there has been no discussion about the MSRI-UP program. If anybody has applied please tell me the status of your application.

shelovesmath said:
No, I'm still waiting.

Indiana is done or very nearly done. San Bernardino will send out first round offers early this week. Mount Holyoke has already sent out offers, but I'm not sure how many.