Math REU as a high school grad

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's confusion about essays and statements of intent for applying to Math REU programs. They also discuss the student's background, technical skills, and research experience. The expert summarizer mentions that the programs usually look for educational background, interests, and academic/career goals in these components of the application. They also mention that it is rare for pre-freshman undergrads to be accepted, but there are a few programs that do accept them. The conversation ends with the expert summarizer providing some tips and advice for the student.
hsetennis
I'm a high school student who will be graduating this spring and I'm applying to the various Math REU's that accept pre-freshman undergrads. I'm confused about the essays and statements of intent. What exactly are they looking for in this component of the application? What constitutes a good statement?

Also, what can I do to compete with the undergrads that I'll be applying with?

My background:
high school math + AP Calc BC + AP Stat
(via Stanford) Diff Eq, Calc III, Calc IV, Linear Algebra, Modern Algebra
I'm enrolled in Real Analysis and Complex Analysis this spring.

Technical skills: Java, VB, C++, Mathematica, SPSS, SAS, R, Matlab

Research experience: worked 10 weeks as a paid researcher at a large state school
Authored 1 paper, Coauthored 1 paper (which will be publishing this spring).

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, they almost always say what they want, but it is usually about your educational background, interests, and academic and career goals. And any other information you think is pertinent.

As for what you can do to compete, there isn't much you can really do at this point. You definitely have enough background but it is pretty rare for programs to accept people who have finished freshman year, let alone haven't started yet. I have never heard of it happening. I'm curious, what programs are you looking at that accept pre-freshman applications?

Ken Ono's number theory REU says they have accepted qualified high school students before: http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~ono/REUs/

Clemson's REU also says they accept high school students who have been accepted to a college: http://www.math.clemson.edu/~kevja/REU/Eligibility.html

Stengah said:
In my experience, they almost always say what they want, but it is usually about your educational background, interests, and academic and career goals. And any other information you think is pertinent.

As for what you can do to compete, there isn't much you can really do at this point. You definitely have enough background but it is pretty rare for programs to accept people who have finished freshman year, let alone haven't started yet. I have never heard of it happening. I'm curious, what programs are you looking at that accept pre-freshman applications?

IU also accepts pre-freshman http://www.math.indiana.edu/reu/faq.phtml .

Regarding academic/career goals, some of them ask if I plan on PhDing in math. Do they give higher consideration to those who want to do graduate work?

I want to do research as a career, but I don't know if I can commit to academia so soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it may be possible since a lot of people doing REUs are trying to see whether they are interested in going to grad school (whether this makes sense or not is another story). Many jobs involving research in industry have people who went to grad school work there. However, I'm not very knowledgeable on this so I can't really comment. Another thing is that I don't think going to graduate school necessarily confines you to academia. If you are also interested in going into industry you can try different things over the summer like trying an internship one year and an REU in another.

Thanks for the tips and advice!

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a competitive opportunity for undergraduate students to participate in research projects in various fields of study, including mathematics. These programs are typically offered by universities and funded by organizations such as the National Science Foundation.

2. Can high school graduates participate in an REU program in mathematics?

Yes, some REU programs do accept high school graduates. However, these programs tend to be very competitive and often require a strong background in mathematics and research experience. It is important to carefully review the eligibility requirements for each program before applying.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a math REU as a high school graduate?

Participating in an REU program as a high school graduate can provide valuable research experience, exposure to advanced mathematical concepts, and the opportunity to work with and learn from experienced researchers. It can also enhance college applications and potentially lead to future research opportunities.

4. Are there any prerequisites for participating in a math REU program as a high school graduate?

The specific prerequisites for each REU program may vary, but generally, a strong foundation in mathematics and some research experience in the field are required. It is also important to have a strong work ethic, time management skills, and the ability to work independently.

5. How can I find and apply for a math REU program as a high school graduate?

There are several resources available for finding and applying to math REU programs, including the NSF's REU program search engine and MathPrograms.org. It is important to carefully review the eligibility requirements and application deadlines for each program, as well as gather all necessary materials such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.