Math REUs 2012

• Thread starter ktupv
  • Start date
I was contacted through e-mail at all places I listed. If you haven't heard back, then there's still hope since you haven't been rejected.

Interesting. Sounds like I've been wait-listed at a number of places, then, seeing as I've heard nothing from programs to which others have already been invited (UCLA Logic and SUNY Potsdam in particular).

I didn't know they'd respond this fast. I haven't heard back from any (including SUNY Potsdam, so I'm in the same boat as you guys). The deadline for Michigan is still two weeks away, and that's one of my top choices. I hope I'm in a sweet spot in the wait-list so they accept me, but not for two or three weeks. I won't complain if they accept me earlier of course.

Apparently Cornell will not be receiving word from the NSF about their funding until the end of this week or beginning of next week, and thus, will not be sending out any offers until around that time.

I too have an offer from CSUCI and need to respond by Friday. It looks like I will be accepting it. :V

So I've only heard from one REU so far, the William and Mary one, and that was also the last one I submitted my application for... huh

The email I received from W&M was also really cryptic... it mentioned something about my "excellent application" but didn't really say directly whether I was accepted or not... wtf

I got into Bard, and might attend. I'm still waiting on a last shot (pun not intended :wink:) from another REU.

I made the short list for WPI! They sent out emails requesting a phone interview.
Also, got rejected from Lafayette.

(Updates in italics.)

Offers: W&M, ETSU, LSU, Lafayette, UT Tyler, JMU, Oregon State
Rejections: Emory, Williams (SMALL), SUNY Potsdam

I accepted the offer to ETSU, declined my other offers, and withdrew my applications to the places that I have not heard back from. Congratulations to all that received offers, and I wish best of luck to the rest!

Anyone got the first round offer from IMA REU at UMN? They told me that they sent out all the 1st round of offers (I didn't get it:P). By the way, does anyone know why do they have 1st round? This is my last chance for the summer:(

So I still haven't gotten an answer from any of the 7 places I applied to, except that really cryptic one from william and mary. Is this bad...?

I accepted my position at CSU Channel Islands! Anyone else going?

Acceptions: WPI
Rejections: UCLA, Dort, Williams, Lafayette.

WPI wants an answer by Monday!

I'm waiting on UCSB, SDSU, and Cornell. :/

Has anyone heard back from San Diego, Texas State, or Boise State?

Still waiting on Fairfield, UMichigan, UT Tyler, ASU MTBI, MSRI-UP. Haven't actually heard from anyone yet.

I just got an offer from the REU/MASS program at Penn State!! so happy, i was freaking out in my car for minutes. i'm planning to accept it since this was my top choice, so long as it gets OK'ed by my school's dean and financial aid officer. anyone else going?

they are giving me 15 days to respond which I find very generous compared to other programs. shouldn't all REUs be required to not force a decision before an agreed-upon date?

Still waiting on Fairfield, UMichigan, UT Tyler, ASU MTBI, MSRI-UP. Haven't actually heard from anyone yet.

I was accepted by MSRI-UP on Tuesday, but decided to decline. They'll probably be making second-round offers soon.

Just got an offer from UT Tyler! Still waiting on Fairfield, Hope, LSU, Bard, Boise, Clemson, Lafayette, OSU. Was rejected from UCLA Logic School and UNCG.

Does anyone know much about the UT Tyler program? It's the only school I applied to that I hadn't heard of.

So who all is attending SMALL this summer? In particular, the Ergodic Theory one?

Has anyone heard back from GVSU or Wisconsin-Stout yet?

People who got rejected from SUNY Potsdam - did they email you saying you were rejected? Or did you have to contact them? I haven't heard from that place yet.. as a matter of fact I haven't heard from anywhere yet.

People who got rejected from SUNY Potsdam - did they email you saying you were rejected? Or did you have to contact them? I haven't heard from that place yet.. as a matter of fact I haven't heard from anywhere yet.

I e-mailed them. I got an early offer from NC state which I ended up accepting after they e-mailed. When I e-mailed them they said they just did not have a position to offer me. They did not say anything about filling up all their positions yet. I would e-mail all the places you are interested in right now and get your status. Some are still reviewing applications. My friend got into the LSU REU last semester after e-mailing them where as before he was unsure if they would have even contacted him. Definitely e-mail to check status and just let them know you are still interested.

Has anyone heard from Cornell, UCSB, or San Diego?

Nothing from Cornell here. Though there was a post earlier on this thread saying they have funding uncertainties and so weren't sending out decisions yet.

I emailed SUNY Potsdam and was told that it doesn't look likely that there will be a position for me... :(

Last edited:
Cornell should be sending things out shortly. One of the professors I'm working with said they just got funding confirmation this past Monday. They're reading through applications, but they're trying not to rush through them.

Got accepted to NAU, MAXIMA, and Missouri State thus far...not sure if I'm gonna continue my research here or go to one of the other programs yet. Too many possibilities.

Still waiting to hear back from the Berkeley geometry program, too.

Cornell should be sending things out shortly. One of the professors I'm working with said they just got funding confirmation this past Monday. They're reading through applications, but they're trying not to rush through them.

Got accepted to NAU, MAXIMA, and Missouri State thus far...not sure if I'm gonna continue my research here or go to one of the other programs yet. Too many possibilities.

Still waiting to hear back from the Berkeley geometry program, too.

Congrats! Which project did you get in for Missouri State, and if you don't mind could you describe what type of math background you have in math?

I take it you must either go to Cornell or work with a professor there?

Also what does NAU and MAXIMA stand for?