1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math REUs 2014

1. Feb 18, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

Has anyone heard back from math REU Programs yet?

For me, I'm still waiting on SMALL (short list) and Emory.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2
    I have heard from none of the 11 I applied for. Only one deadline has passed for those 11, though. Have your deadlines all passed? Do they start evaluating/contacting people before the deadline?

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3
    Rejected from Duluth on the 17th. From the email, "There were 192 applicants for the
    nine positions."

5. Feb 25, 2014 #4
    I've heard that Duluth is one of the most competitive REUs around - that they usually only take people from Harvard, MIT, etc.

Has anyone heard for CSU San Bernardino? It was due on the 12th, and I got a confirmation email about a week later saying they had not started to look at materials yet. I expect to hear from them earlier since their application was due earlier.

6. Feb 26, 2014 #5
    SUNY Potsdam sent an email saying that decisions will be made at earliest on March 8th.

7. Feb 28, 2014 #6
    I've applied to 12 REUs. I haven't heard back from any yet. Emory already posted their participants for this year :(
    But that leaves 11 to hear from! Woot.

8. Mar 2, 2014 #7

bla

Has anyone heard from UCLA RIPS yet?

9. Mar 3, 2014 #8
    Does anyone know what a phone interview for an REU is like?

10. Mar 3, 2014 #9
  11. Mar 3, 2014 #10
    I looked at the past Math REUs pages on PF. They all started getting offers around early March. So naturally, this dude is worried. Anyone know how long schools take to send out offers after deadline??
    P.S. Got rejection e-mail from Emory. But that was a far-stretch anyway.

12. Mar 3, 2014 #11
    Yep. I read that in other threads, too. I was worried, but I think that maybe decisions are being made slightly later this year?
    I haven't had any rejections yet. I have one interview tomorrow. Another program said decisions would be made no sooner than March 8th. Another program said first offers would be made by the end of today. So this means that I did not get an offer at that program. :( It was one of my top choices.

13. Mar 4, 2014 #12
    Sorry to hear that!

14. Mar 4, 2014 #13
    It's okay! I would be happy to get into one out of the twenty that I applied to. A bunch of students from my school applied this year, and even though I have a strong GPA, I definitely feel that I am in direct competition with others from my college. Hopefully I applied to some REUs without overlap!

Fairfield is still pending funding. Sounds like they'll probably shut it down this year. Bummer.

15. Mar 4, 2014 #14
    Has anyone heard from William and Mary, GVSU, CMich, or Kent?

I haven't received any acceptances or rejections yet but I have emails indicating that I am on the short lists for two REUs.

16. Mar 4, 2014 #15
    Ahh! I can't believe it. I got into one of my top choice REUs. Now I just have to decide which REUs to email for a status update and which ones to withdraw from. Any advice? This forum doesn't seem as active as years past, but I might as well ask.

17. Mar 4, 2014 #16
    GVSU sent out their first offers last night according to an email I got. Where are you on the short list?

18. Mar 4, 2014 #17
    I haven't heard anything from GVSU yet, alas.

19. Mar 4, 2014 #18
    Would people say which ones they've heard from? I think the point of this thread is for people to see if programs that they've applied to are sending out acceptances, so it's not as helpful for the rest of us if people merely say that they got into one and don't say which.

20. Mar 4, 2014 #19
    I'm on the shortlist for UWG and Potsdam. I haven't heard anything else from any other REUs.

21. Mar 4, 2014 #20
    What program did you get an offer from??

This is my status for REUs.
    Offers: Kent
    Rejections: Emory
    No word: UW-Stout, GVSU, University of Minnesota, CMich, Missouri State, University of West GA, Auburn, Miami U, Michigan State

I have to reply to Kent by Friday!

Also, could anyone who has heard from these programs let us know? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook