Math REUs 2014: Program Updates and Notifications

• Thread starter member 502815
  • Start date
In summary, participants in this conversation discussed the status of their applications for various math REU programs. Some have received rejections or acceptances from certain programs, while others are still waiting to hear back. Some programs have sent out first offers, while others have not begun evaluating applications yet. There was also a discussion about phone interviews and what they are typically like. One person mentioned being on the shortlist for two programs and another mentioned getting into one of their top choice programs. There was also a mention of a program potentially not running this year due to funding issues.
Anyone planning to go to UMichigan?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fairfield is sending notifications now

Just got an offer from Kent to work on "Asymptotic distribution of some hybrid arithmetic functions", but I have already committed to an REU. Kind of surprised about an offer coming so much later than my other offers! I also don't understand why I was accepted for that project, because I don't have all of the "recommended background."

JapaneseGinger: Were you accepted to Fairfield? Congrats! I thought Fairfield looked like an awesome REU. I would have loved to attend. I withdrew my application when I got the email from Dr. Rafalski (sp?) saying that if we have other offers, we should accept them, because they didn't know about funding.

lauraofrohan said:
Just got an offer from Kent to work on "Asymptotic distribution of some hybrid arithmetic functions", but I have already committed to an REU. Kind of surprised about an offer coming so much later than my other offers! I also don't understand why I was accepted for that project, because I don't have all of the "recommended background."

JapaneseGinger: Were you accepted to Fairfield? Congrats! I thought Fairfield looked like an awesome REU. I would have loved to attend. I withdrew my application when I got the email from Dr. Rafalski (sp?) saying that if we have other offers, we should accept them, because they didn't know about funding.

Yes, I was! It is definitely one that I wanted to wait for because of my interest in differential equations and numerical methods! I'm very certain I will accept the Fairfield offer. It's a choice between Fairfield and Rutgers for me. And congrats to you on the Kent acceptance! Even though you have committed to another REU, the acceptance is still a nice feeling! Where did you decide on?

James Madison University

I emailed the director of the REU at James Madison University (JMU) and I was told that if I have not heard anything from one of the project mentors yet, that it is safe to assume that I will not be offered a position this summer. I assume that holds true for all of you who have not heard from JMU yet.

Has anyone heard about the Boise State or Missouri State REU's? Auburn has said that they have offered all 8, with 5 accepted and 3 expiring this week.

I know someone who was accepted to Missouri State. I don't know anything about Boise State!

Anyone know anything about PSU... I heard back from all others(Boise State sent out rejections like a week ago)

josef_hartmann said:
Interactions between Linear Algebra and Ring Theory.

Update: I accepted the offer at Kent.
I just was accepted to Kent for Interactions between Linear Algebra and RIng Theory for summer 2015, and am deciding between Kent, UCSB, and WADE reu. What did you think of Kent??

Likes Greg Bernhardt