2016 Math REU Acceptances

In summary, it seems that many programs have already sent out acceptances, with some still in the process of filling up. Some programs have mentioned that they do not do shortlists, while others may have specific requirements for acceptance. Participants have discussed prioritizing factors such as program prestige, likelihood of publication, and personal interest in the topic. There is also a discussion about the selectivity and potential funding of the Cornell REU program.
Any update on Ipam RIPS, UCLA?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any word from Michigan yet?

I emailed the programs since I have offers and I want other kids to know if they got in ASAP for a program I may not want, so I emailed the programs.

More info:
Seattle will give decisions in two weeks.
Oregon State will release before the 8th.
UT Tyler emailed first acceptances today.
Cornell emailed formal first round acceptances today.
Grand Valley State will email first acceptances 3/2 and 3/3 most likely.
UCSB emailed the top 4 students for my chosen project but had a shortlist of 9 people, the 4 kids have until 3/8 to reply.

Likes TRetz, WhatIsCohomology and HBubble
I'm only waiting for Michigan. That's literally the only thing preventing me from accepting Cornell.

@n-dimen Thanks! That really helps a lot. I'm surprised UT Tyler is sending out responses so early after the deadline. Makes me think I should have applied earlier.

Chicago released results.

n-dimen said:
UCSB emailed the top 4 students for my chosen project but had a shortlist of 9 people, the 4 kids have until 3/8 to reply.

What project? I applied to the braided linear algebra one and got in

Still no word from TAMU, either?

TRetz said:
What project? I applied to the braided linear algebra one and got in
That may have been it, I do not recall which project I picked. TAMU sent first round offers (I didnt make it either...).

Likes WhatIsCohomology
n-dimen said:
That may have been it, I do not recall which project I picked. TAMU sent first round offers (I didnt make it either...).

Thanks! Man, this sure is encouraging so far.

Refreshing my email nonstop... was hoping to hear from someplace I had an interview but I guess this is a bad sign :(

It seems that REU's are very competitive regardless of prestige.

Likes n-dimen and TRetz
I heard back from RIPS. People are supposed to respond by the morning of March 7th so I imagine they'll send out second offers after that

@test123321 via phone and then via email when I didn't pick up the first two days

Potsdam already has first offers out, and they'll contact any second round offers within two weeks.

Just found this thread today. I guess it's fairly unlikely that I'll get into Potsdam, Twin Cities, or RIPS during their second round. Haha that accounts for a third of the programs I applied to. :|

Cohomology, did you get into Potsdam?

AMH said:
Just found this thread today. I guess it's fairly unlikely that I'll get into Potsdam, Twin Cities, or RIPS during their second round. Haha that accounts for a third of the programs I applied to. :|

Cohomology, did you get into Potsdam?

No, I didn't get in, but I emailed them and they said they sent out offers today and I probably won't get in the second round either.

Anything from University of Washington Bothell?

I want to hear about Michigan!

Miao said:
I want to hear about Michigan!
just email them...

SHSU is releasing today, quote them:

"If you don’t hear from us by tomorrow (Saturday) morning, it’s safe to say you are not included in the initial set of candidates."​

Michigan won't be releasing first offers till "mid to late March." ICERM has released first round offers I believe and I think UCLA applied math is trying to get out acceptances this weekend. Has anyone heard from MAPS?

I have not heard from MAPS.

Anyone have news from MSRP or MSRI?

I got an acceptance email from Michigan yesterday morning (although I'm kind of confused because I thought they wouldn't release decisions until later).

Anyone heard from Willamette or Boise?

test123321 said:
I have not heard from MAPS.

Anyone have news from MSRP or MSRI?

I got accepted to MSRI, but as far as I know there are still spots left to be filled.

Anyone hear from SHSU?

WhatIsCohomology said:
SHSU is releasing today, quote them:

"If you don’t hear from us by tomorrow (Saturday) morning, it’s safe to say you are not included in the initial set of candidates."​

Yee - I mean if anyone heard from them this morning, i.e. received an acceptance

Oh, I understand, my bad.

So I was on the shortlist for Oregon State Univ., I'm just wondering has anyone heard back from them?

n-dimen said:
So I was on the shortlist for Oregon State Univ., I'm just wondering has anyone heard back from them?
How do you know you were on the shortlist?

WhatIsCohomology said:
How do you know you were on the shortlist?
I emailed them last week asking if I should accept other offers or I may get into their program and they said I'm on the shortlist and I will hear back by the 8th.

Any one heard from SMALL?