2016 Math REU Acceptances

In summary, it seems that many programs have already sent out acceptances, with some still in the process of filling up. Some programs have mentioned that they do not do shortlists, while others may have specific requirements for acceptance. Participants have discussed prioritizing factors such as program prestige, likelihood of publication, and personal interest in the topic. There is also a discussion about the selectivity and potential funding of the Cornell REU program.
avana said:
Any one heard from SMALL?
I was rejected by Frank Morgan, but through a rather personal email (not the kind of official one). He also told me that he tries to favor juniors and the usual 'please apply again' cliche.

Physics news on Phys.org
If we haven't been rejected by SMALL yet (but were on the short list), does that mean we're still in consideration?

Miao said:
I was rejected by Frank Morgan, but through a rather personal email (not the kind of official one). He also told me that he tries to favor juniors and the usual 'please apply again' cliche.

Did he email you, or did you contact him first?

I've received offers from Oregon state, UMN and Potsdam. Has WADE sent out anything besides the survey? And which of the ones I got into is generally considered most prestigious? Serious indecision and that is of course a factor

duhmark said:
Has WADE sent out anything besides the survey?

WADE has sent out offers

test123321 said:
WADE has sent out offers
Adding to this, they gave until March 8th to decide, so if there is a second round my guess would be that it would go out sometime in the second half of this week.

duhmark said:
which of the ones I got into is generally considered most prestigious? Serious indecision and that is of course a factor

They're all great REU's and you should probably pick one based on which has the most interesting research available. That being said, I'm under the impression that UMN is the (slightly) more prestigious of the bunch.

duhmark said:
I've received offers from Oregon state, UMN and Potsdam. Has WADE sent out anything besides the survey? And which of the ones I got into is generally considered most prestigious? Serious indecision and that is of course a factor
Judging from my results, I think UMN is the hardest out of the 3 to get in then Oregan/Potsdam. I say this b.c. I was shortlisted for the last two but not for UMN.

WhatIsCohomology said:
Did he email you, or did you contact him first?
I'm pretty sure I did not email him.

If you don't accept an offer please let them know!

n-dimen said:
If you don't accept an offer please let them know!
So n-dimen, are you going to accept the Cornell REU? I am probably going to. I know the lack of funding is off-putting, but among all I got in, this is the most serious program on more mainstream math topics. Also, I'm pretty sure there is funding from my college.

Is the deadline on March 8th at midnight or that morning or...?

test123321 said:
Is the deadline on March 8th at midnight or that morning or...?

If this reply is to me, they just said on or before March 8th.

I just meant in general for programs that stick to that deadline

Miao said:
So n-dimen, are you going to accept the Cornell REU? I am probably going to. I know the lack of funding is off-putting, but among all I got in, this is the most serious program on more mainstream math topics. Also, I'm pretty sure there is funding from my college.
Most likely this will be it, i asked how much it costs, they said to live it is usually 65-120 a week not counting food or travel.

Are there ever second round offers right after March 8th?

test123321 said:
Are there ever second round offers right after March 8th?
I would guess so.

Anyone else apply for the UCLA summer school in logic? I know it's not an REU, but it seems relevant and I'm curious.

Has anyone heard from MTBI?

So who accepted/turned down things today? Must have been busy for everybody.

I accepted cornell, and told a few programs to take me off there waiting list (or to take me out of consideration if they didnt release yet).

Has anyone heard anything from Boise State, Kent State, MSRI, or University of West Georgia?

I haven't heard anything from Boise or Kent State yet.

Kent State's website hasn't been updated since last year. Several months ago, I emailed them about a 2016 REU and never got a response. How did you find out about an REU this year?

People on the shortlist for Diff Eq for SMALL have been notified.

I'm taking the Cornell offer, too.

I accepted UCSB.. haven't heard back from any of the other math REUs that I applied to

Oregon has filled all their spots

My friend got an interview invitation from Boise.

University of Washington Bothell, UT Tyler, and Sam Houston sent out offers.

AMH said:
Anyone else apply for the UCLA summer school in logic? I know it's not an REU, but it seems relevant and I'm curious.
I applied to it and I'm also curious if anyone has heard anything yet.

I just got an offer from Sam Houston State. Does anybody know if it's a good program?

Has anyone heard from Winthrop?

mathers101 said:
I just got an offer from Sam Houston State. Does anybody know if it's a good program?
Well what are your other options? I'm pretty sure Sam Houston is a good program, though not elite. In particular, I haven't been able to find any evidence of previous publications from Sam Houston's REU. So if you have the opportunity to join another program (Potsdam, Minnesota, Brown, OSU, etc...) where publications seem to be the norm or work with a professor at your home university, you may have a better chance of getting publishable results. On the other hand, if you're enthusiastic about one of the projects at Sam Houston, it could still be very productive and fun.