1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Math REUs 2017

1. Feb 18, 2017 #1
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2
    First offers for Emory have been sent out.

4. Feb 21, 2017 #3
    I applied to a fair amount already, and still have a few more to go. I was just wondering if anyone has knowledge on which programs actually send rejection letters, and which ones don't - that information would help a lot! Thanks for the help!

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4
    Several groups for SMALL have already sent out acceptances

6. Feb 21, 2017 #5
    I got an email from UCLA that I'm on the shortlist and that they are working on setting up interviews.

7. Feb 21, 2017 #6
    UCSB also started to send out acceptances, some got them a few days ago, I got mine today.

Last year many programs I did not get in did not reject me, not in a timely manner at least. After I got an offer and it was the last week, I started to email some places I applied to and got a response that way. I recommend you do that same, but wait for a bit?

Remember to reject any offers you do not need/want it can help someone!

8. Feb 21, 2017 #7
    What time would you think is best to start asking for my application status?

9. Feb 21, 2017 #8
    That's up to you, personally I would wait until march, I will be asking a few days before the 3/8 deadline.

10. Feb 21, 2017 #9
    That's a good idea, thanks for your help. I haven't gotten any responses back yet which I hope isn't a bad omen :/ Good luck to you!

11. Feb 21, 2017 #10
    Last year I got my responses (along with a few other people I know) in late feb (like 5ish days from now) to early march. Don't worry, you got this! Also on 3/9 a lot of spots will probably open up.

12. Feb 21, 2017 #11
    I believe Duluth, UMN Twin Cities, and SMALL have sent out first offers already. I was rejected from Duluth, accepted to UMN, and shortlisted at SMALL. Have people gotten off the shortlist in the past?

Also, anyone have thoughts on the UMN program? I'm probably going to attend one of these two programs since I didn't apply to many programs, but am wondering if waiting on this shortlist is worth it or not for the next two weeks.

13. Feb 23, 2017 #12
    Has anyone heard from Clemson or Berkeley? Both had deadlines more than a week ago, and it seems like several programs respond in that timeframe.

14. Feb 23, 2017 #13
    I had a friend get accepted to Berkeley already (the one on curvature shortening flow).

15. Feb 23, 2017 #14
    Thanks for the info. I applied to the other group, but I'm sure they sent out offers around the same time.

16. Feb 23, 2017 #15
    TAMU sent some offers.

17. Feb 26, 2017 #16
    I did the UMN program last year---it is fantastic. Many of the mentors are incredible, especially Vic Reiner. Many of the groups involved produced immediately publishable results. It has a good reputation in the math community for producing high-level results (for an REU). Also, many of my peers at the REU were extremely intelligent. IMO (which may be biased), it's at least as good as SMALL, if not better.

18. Feb 26, 2017 #17
    Does anyone know if the Michigan REU has released offers yet?

19. Feb 26, 2017 #18
    @orangeyouglad I don't know if they released offers, but last year they rejected me on March 11, so maybe that could give you an idea of how long you'll wait to hear any sort of news.

20. Feb 27, 2017 #19
    Has anyone heard from San Bernadino, Willamette, or Lafayette?

21. Feb 27, 2017 #20
    Lafayette's deadline was just 3 days ago, so there's a pretty good chance that they haven't sent out any offers yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted