Solving Math Series: Find nth Term & Sum of First n Terms

• Thread starter homad2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the homework statement is to find a formula for nth term, and the sum of the first n terms. The attempt at a solution was to try and rearrange and simplify it, but no clue. The reason why is unknown, but it might be because the equation is in terms of an-1 instead of the nth term itself. Homad2000 suggested looking at how each term in the series differs from the last, and then using the X2 icon above the Reply box to try and solve for the nth term.
homad2000

Homework Statement

consider the series: a + (a+d) + (a+3d) + (a+6d) + (a+10d) + (a+15d) ...
find a formula for nth term, and the sum of the first n terms.

Homework Equations

I think, it is similar to the Fibonacci series.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I tried rearange and simplify it, but no clue!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi homad2000! :wink:

well, first, what is the formula for nth term? :smile:

Hint: Look at how each term in the series differs from the last. From the partial series given, you can assume that the quantity 'a' is in each term of the series. Now look at how the part with the quantity 'd' changes depending on which term is considered. In the first term, there is no 'd'. In the second term, a single 'd'. In the third term, '3d'. The coefficient of the 'd' term is some function of the 'i'th term of the series.

OK, I see how this series working, the nth term can be found like this:

a(n) = a(n-1) + (n-1)d

but how about the sum of the series?

homad2000 said:
a(n) = a(n-1) + (n-1)d

nooo … try again :smile:

tiny-tim said:
nooo … try again :smile:

why? if we want to get for example the 4th term, it's the third term + (4-1)d = (a+3d) + 3d = a+6d ?

oh sorry, i misread your a(n-1) as a product :redface:

ok now what is an in absolute terms, not as a function of an-1 ? :smile:

great!

I got: a(n) = a + (n^2 - n ) / 2 * d !

any hints how to start solving the second part?

hi homad2000! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

ok :smile:

now sum each bit separately …

∑ a is easy! :tongue2: …

for ∑ (n2 - n)/2, rewrite that as ∑ n(n-1)/2 …

does that remind you of anything? :wink:

:) hahah, i wasnt thinking that way! anyways, thank you very much!

What is the nth term of a math series?

The nth term of a math series refers to the general term of the series, represented by an equation or formula, that can be used to find any term in the series by plugging in the value of n. It is commonly denoted as an.

How do you find the nth term of a math series?

The nth term of a math series can be found by first identifying the pattern or rule that governs the series. This can be done by looking at the differences between consecutive terms or by noticing a common ratio between terms. Once the pattern is determined, it can be expressed in the form of an equation or formula, with n representing the position of the term in the series.

What is the sum of the first n terms of a math series?

The sum of the first n terms of a math series refers to the total value obtained by adding the first n terms of the series. It is commonly denoted as Sn and can be calculated using various methods, such as direct summation, using the formula for the sum of an arithmetic or geometric series, or by finding the difference between the (n+1)th and nth terms.

How do you find the sum of the first n terms of a math series?

The sum of the first n terms of a math series can be found by using the appropriate formula for the specific type of series (arithmetic, geometric, etc.), or by adding the terms directly if the series is simple enough. Another method is to find the difference between the (n+1)th and nth term, which can be useful for finding the sum of alternating series.

Why is it important to find the nth term and sum of a math series?

Finding the nth term and sum of a math series is important because it allows for the prediction and calculation of any term or total value in the series. It also helps in understanding and analyzing the patterns and relationships within the series, which can be useful in solving more complex problems. Additionally, knowing the nth term and sum of a series can be helpful in real-world applications, such as in financial calculations or scientific research.