Math help: Solving trigonometric integral \int sin^2(4x)cos^{10}(4x)dx

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate \int sin^3(4x)cos^{10}(4x) dx by using trigonometric identities and substitution. The expert in summarizing provides a step-by-step summary of the conversation, highlighting the key points of using trigonometric identities and substitution to solve the integral. The conversation also touches on balancing and differentiating, providing clarification on those concepts as well. By the end, the person seeking help expresses their gratitude for the assistance and newfound understanding of the problem.
CellCoree
[tex]\int sin^3(4x)cos^{10}(4x) dx[/tex]

ok i know that i need to borrow the a sin, cause the sin has an odd power

[tex]\int sin^2(4x)cos^{10}(4x) sin(4x)dx[/tex]

ok used one of the trig ids. on [tex]sin^2(4x)[/tex]

= [tex]\int (1-cos^2(4x)) * cos^{10}(4x) * sin(4x) dx[/tex]

=[tex]\int cos^{10}(4x)*sin(4x)dx - \int cos^{12}(4x)cos^2(4x)sin(4x)dx[/tex]

ok so i start to integrate the left side first...

[tex] \int sin(4x)cos^{10}(4x)dx [/tex]
[tex]u=cos(4x)[/tex]
[tex]du=-4sin(4x)dx[/tex]
[tex] dx=-1/4 [/tex] <-- needs to be balanced right? man I am so confused on balancing, what am i suppose to balance anyway? i usally guess it lol, which is not good. please help me with this also

so...

[tex] \int -1/4 du * u^{10} [/tex]
[tex] -1/4 \int u^{10} * du [/tex]

now to find the anti-derv.

[tex] -1/4(u^{11}/11) [/tex]

sub back in for u

[tex] -1/4(cos(4x)^{11}/11) [/tex]

so this is what the problem looks right now...

[tex] -1/4(cos(4x)^{11}/11) - \int cos^{12}(4x)cos^2(4x)sin(4x)dx[/tex]

ok how would i do the right side? it's so huge, so i use trig ids. agian? but am i doing it right so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
CellCoree said:
[tex]\int sin^3(4x)cos^{10}(4x) dx[/tex]

ok i know that i need to borrow the a sin, cause the sin has an odd power

[tex]\int sin^2(4x)cos^{10}(4x) sin(4x)dx[/tex]

ok used one of the trig ids. on [tex]sin^2(4x)[/tex]

=[tex]\int cos^{10}(4x)*sin(4x)dx - \int cos^{12}(4x)cos^2(4x)sin(4x)dx[/tex]

The [tex]cos^2(4x)[/tex] is superfluous in the second integral. It is just
[tex]cos^{12}(4x)sin(4x)dx[/tex]
and you can do the same you did with the first one.

ehild

[tex]u=cos(4x)[/tex]

[tex]du=-4sin(4x)dx[/tex]

[tex] dx=-1/4 [/tex] <-- needs to be balanced right? man I am so confused on balancing, what am i suppose to balance anyway? i usally guess it lol, which is not good. please help me with this also

I'm not too sure what you mean by "balancing." What you are really doing is differentiatiating [tex]u=cos(4x)[/tex] with respect to x, giving [tex]\frac{du}{dx}=-4sin(4x) [/tex], "multiplying through" by dx giving [tex]du=-4sin(4x)dx[/tex], and then simply solving the equation in terms of dx and then substituting into your original integral in [tex] \int sin(4x)cos^{10}(4x)dx [/tex].

ok how would i do the right side? it's so huge, so i use trig ids. agian? but am i doing it right so far?

You shouldn't have too much trouble with this integral since you were able to do the other one. And yes, your work looks fine to me. Post again if you need help with this integral as well.

ehild said:
The [tex]cos^2(4x)[/tex] is superfluous in the second integral. It is just
[tex]cos^{12}(4x)sin(4x)dx[/tex]
and you can do the same you did with the first one.

ehild

why did you remove [tex]cos^2(4x)[/tex]?

i don't get it

for example:

you use 1 to multiply [tex]cos^{10}(4x) * sin(4x) dx[/tex] then you use
[tex]cos^2(4x)[/tex] to multiply [tex]cos^{10}(4x) * sin(4x) dx[/tex]
right? that's how i got [tex]cos^{12}(4x)cos^2(4x)sin(4x)dx[/tex]... am i doing something wrong?

[tex]cos^{2}(4x)*cos^{10}(4x) * sin(4x) dx = cos^{12}(4x)sin(4x)dx [/tex]

I believe the mistake you are making is multiplying [itex]cos^{2}(4x)[/itex] once with the [itex]cos^{10}(4x)[/itex] and another time with [itex]sin(4x) dx [/itex]. This is incorrect because the two latter terms are multipled together.

thank you everyone, that really helped. I am so glad i know how to do these problems now, it feels really goood. thank you agian

What is a Math sin integral?

A Math sin integral is an integral that involves the sine function. It is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve represented by the sine function.

Why is it important to understand Math sin integrals?

Understanding Math sin integrals is important because they are used in many fields of science and engineering to solve real-world problems. They also serve as a building block for more complex mathematical concepts.

How do I solve a Math sin integral?

To solve a Math sin integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties of the sine function.

What are some practical applications of Math sin integrals?

Math sin integrals have several practical applications, including calculating the displacement of a pendulum, finding the current in an AC circuit, and determining the velocity of a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion.

Can I use a calculator to solve a Math sin integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a Math sin integral. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in solving the integral to ensure the accuracy of the result. A calculator should only be used as a tool to check your work or when dealing with more complex integrals.