Math story problem with fractions that I am stuck on.

In summary, the conversation is about a guy trying to figure out the length of his life by adding up the different stages he spends as a boy, youth, man, and mature adult. The formula is L/6+L/8+L/2+15=L, and after solving for L, the result is close to 70 years.
kkaterr
A guy spends 1/6 of his life as a boy, 1/8 as a youth, 1/2 as a man and 15 years as a mature adult. I got about 70 by trial and error but I need to know exactly how to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the variable L be the length of his life. Add up all of the parts you've got and equate it to L. Now solve for L.

I do that and get 15.79. That can't be right.

kkaterr said:
I do that and get 15.79. That can't be right.

No, it isn't. Show what you did.

(1/6)+(1/8)+(1/2)+15

kkaterr said:
(1/6)+(1/8)+(1/2)+15

One sixth of his life is L/6. What's one eighth of his life? What's the total?

Going by your logic one eighth would be L/8, I'm not sure what the total is..

kkaterr said:
Going by your logic one eighth would be L/8, I'm not sure what the total is..

The total is his whole life. That's L. What's the sum that is equal to L? You are doing fine so far. Write the sum that is equal to L.

L/6+L/8+L/2=L
Like that?

kkaterr said:
L/6+L/8+L/2=L
Like that?

Close. What about the 15? Where does that go?

L/6+l/8+l/2+15=l

kkaterr said:
L/6+l/8+l/2+15=l

Yes! Now can you use algebra to solve for L? It is pretty close to 70.

thank you!

1. What is a math story problem with fractions?

A math story problem with fractions is a word problem that involves using fractions to solve a real-life scenario. It requires understanding of basic math operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as knowledge of fractions and their equivalents.

2. How do I approach solving a math story problem with fractions?

The first step is to carefully read the problem and identify the important information. Then, determine what operation (addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division) is needed to solve the problem. Next, convert any whole numbers to fractions and simplify if necessary. Finally, solve the problem and check your answer for accuracy.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a math story problem with fractions?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to convert whole numbers to fractions, using the wrong operation, and not simplifying fractions. It is also important to double-check your calculations and ensure that your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. How can I check my answer for a math story problem with fractions?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and solving it using a different method. You can also use estimation to see if your answer is reasonable. Additionally, you can use a calculator to verify your calculations.

5. Where can I find additional resources to help me with math story problems with fractions?

There are many online resources available, such as math websites, tutorial videos, and practice problems. Your teacher or school may also have additional resources, such as textbooks or worksheets, that can help you practice and improve your skills with math story problems involving fractions.