1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Structures

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1
    I'm a math structures class at my college and even though i think the class is pointless its required for my degree and i have to take it. There is a problem in my book that I don't understand how to answer. The problem is: Determine each of the following without actually performing the division. Explain how you did it in each case. a.)Is 34,015 divisible by 17? The only hint he gave us is 34,015= 34,000+15. Apply Theorem 4-2(from the book) part a or c whichever is appropriate. However when i looked in the book this theorem that he told us to use is not there. Now I don't know what to do and its not like I can ask him because he is out of town on a business confernce until monday which is when the homework is due...can someone please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So you yourself are a structures class that is pointless? We'd be happy to help if you would actually ask a coherent question (and follow the PF guidelines). Please try again.

4. Nov 3, 2006 #3
    I meant that I was in a math structures class...not that hard to figure out...and its late and i've had 4 hours of sleep in the last 2 days so please give me a break.
    My question is that I don't understand how to answer this question and would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me:
    Determine each of the following without actually performing the division. Explain how you did it in each case. a.)Is 34,015 divisible by 17?
    My professor gave us the hint "34,015=34,000+15. Apply Theorem 4-2, part a or c whichever is appropriate." I have no idea what the hint means. All I know is that 4-2 means chapter 4 section 2 of our book. I read all of 4-2 hoping to find out what he meant however there was no mention of a theorem part a or c.
    I know that the answer to the problem is no 34,015 is not divisible by 17 however I have no clue how I am supposed to explain this because the answer is just common sense to me.
    I would ask my professor to explain it but he is out of town until Monday, which is when the homework is due, therefore I can't ask him.
    So I would really really appreciate any help that you can give.

5. Nov 3, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that this is the correct interpretation of the numbering system. What if there were three theorems in section 2 of chapter 4? Maybe it means theorem 2 of chapter 4, but, without seeing the book, I'm not sure.

Is 34000 divisible by 17? Is 15 divisible by 17?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?