Math student looking for introductory book in physics

In summary, this person is looking for a book that will be easy to read and will give them a basic understanding of physics concepts. They do not need a solid physics education, only a basic understanding. They want a book that is cheap and does not require too much effort to read. Schaum's Outline of Lagrangian Dynamics may be a good option.
mackan__787
I'm looking for a nice easy to read introductory book in physics (classical physics ?) for someone who has two years of university level math but knows nothing of physics.

To be more precise, I want a book (preferebly cheap), that won't take too much effort to read and gives me enough insight so that I will be able to understand basic physics things like how to derive equations for pendulums, vibrating strings, heatequations etc (I assume these tings are basic?)

Anyone care to recommend such litterature ?

regards
/mackan

Physics news on Phys.org
mackan__787 said:
To be more precise, I want a book (preferebly cheap), that won't take too much effort to read and gives me enough insight so that I will be able to understand basic physics things like how to derive equations for pendulums, vibrating strings, heatequations etc (I assume these tings are basic?)

Must of the time this is third semester stuff physics stuff. What does 2 years of University math mean. Does it include multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, matrix methods?

Davorak said:
Must of the time this is third semester stuff physics stuff. What does 2 years of University math mean. Does it include multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, matrix methods?

What i mean with two years of university math (I realize this might be a bit vauge) is courses in linear algebra, multivariate calc, Fourier analysis, differential geometry, ODEs, basic probability and statistics, a few courses in numerics, calculus of variations. Not so much matrix theory if that is what you mean.

Anyway, I am not looking for a solid physics education, I just want to get some understanding of these things so that I can understand where the physics equations that are dropped in variouus math books come from.

And as i mentioned, I want this to be a fairly easy read (given that you have the math).

Perhaps I am asking for the impossible...

Any comments are welcome...

regards
/mackan

It does not sound impossible with your back ground. I am sure others on this forum may be able to give you better recommendations.
Classical dynamics of particles and systems by Marion Thornton 4th addition is what I learned out of. It probable more then you need. Also not cheap:

I think Schaum's Outline of Lagrangian Dynamics may be what you are looking for at least for the pendulums. If you have not Lagrangain dynamics and Hamilton dynamics are a very general way of deriving the fundamental differential equation. I doubt it will focus much on heat transfer.
Schaum’s outlines are cheap $12-18.

Online resource: Modern Physics for Mathematicians
http://www.lorentz.leidenuniv.nl/modphys/
Looks like it covers more quantum mechanics then you are looking for thought. Second chapter might be interesting. I took a brief glance it looks like it expects a high degree of mathematical fluency. It looks like it would be at grad school level, might be a bit too much.

Hope this helps

Davorak said:
It does not sound impossible with your back ground. I am sure others on this forum may be able to give you better recommendations.
Classical dynamics of particles and systems by Marion Thornton 4th addition is what I learned out of. It probable more then you need. Also not cheap:

I think Schaum's Outline of Lagrangian Dynamics may be what you are looking for at least for the pendulums. If you have not Lagrangain dynamics and Hamilton dynamics are a very general way of deriving the fundamental differential equation. I doubt it will focus much on heat transfer.
Schaum’s outlines are cheap $12-18.

Online resource: Modern Physics for Mathematicians
http://www.lorentz.leidenuniv.nl/modphys/
Looks like it covers more quantum mechanics then you are looking for thought. Second chapter might be interesting. I took a brief glance it looks like it expects a high degree of mathematical fluency. It looks like it would be at grad school level, might be a bit too much.

Hope this helps

Thanks!
I'll have a look at it.
regards
/mackan

1. What are some good introductory books in physics for math students?

Some good introductory books in physics for math students are "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by Riley, Hobson, and Bence, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.

2. Do I need a strong background in math to understand physics?

Yes, a strong background in math is essential for understanding physics. Many concepts in physics involve complex mathematical equations and calculations.

3. How does studying physics benefit math students?

Studying physics can benefit math students by providing them with a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and principles. Physics also helps students develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

4. What topics should I focus on as a math student learning physics?

As a math student learning physics, it is important to focus on topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These topics are fundamental to understanding the principles of physics.

5. Are there any online resources for math students learning physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for math students learning physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. These resources offer lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help students understand physics concepts.