1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math teacher ?

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1
    i dont know if i should post this here , Does anyone know if it is hard to get a job
    as a math teacher with just a master's in math to be able to teach at a college.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It should not be difficult to get a job as, say, an "instructor" teaching basic freshman classes. But to get tenure, to be promoted to "Assistant Professor", etc., almost all colleges require a doctorate.

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3
    but it would be fairly easy to get a job as an instructor to teach freshman classes.

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4
    You don't say where this is, I will assume USA.

For position as "regular faculty" it is increasingly the case that even 2-year colleges seek only candidates with Ph.D. However: many colleges, even big-name universities, are hiring many "part-time" or "temporary" or "adjunct" instructors. This means probably no job security from one year to the next; maybe even no benefits. But also perhaps no rigid requirement of a Ph.D.

6. Jun 27, 2009 #5
    yes usa , idaho to be more precise

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook