Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math teacher ?

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1
    i dont know if i should post this here , Does anyone know if it is hard to get a job
    as a math teacher with just a master's in math to be able to teach at a college.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It should not be difficult to get a job as, say, an "instructor" teaching basic freshman classes. But to get tenure, to be promoted to "Assistant Professor", etc., almost all colleges require a doctorate.

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3
    but it would be fairly easy to get a job as an instructor to teach freshman classes.

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4
    You don't say where this is, I will assume USA.

For position as "regular faculty" it is increasingly the case that even 2-year colleges seek only candidates with Ph.D. However: many colleges, even big-name universities, are hiring many "part-time" or "temporary" or "adjunct" instructors. This means probably no job security from one year to the next; maybe even no benefits. But also perhaps no rigid requirement of a Ph.D.

6. Jun 27, 2009 #5
    yes usa , idaho to be more precise

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook