Making Math Team Cool Again: The Story of a Delinquent Captain

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary, the captain of the math team is a crappy student who hates his co-captain. He is trying to change things, but is unsure of what he should do.
Gale
This is my third year on math team. I'm now captain. Like 4 or 5 years before i joined, my school was a state champ, we switched to int. math, and now we're close to the bottom. I joined for two reasons 1. i like math, kinda a lot. 2. i thought it'd be absofreakinglutely hilarious. I'm not exactly what people'd consider a math geek, heh, not at all, so i figured wouldn't it be a great joke if i was on this really geeky math team. Well, it turned out to be wicked funny, and more so since it was true. Now that I'm captain though, i want to win states again. Chances are like slim to nil, but i'd bet we could do it anyways.

Problem: Math team is still a joke to me. And, I've spread that philosophy to most of the team. No one cares about winning. Half the people this year can barely do algebra, but I've started a trend, and so they've joined. So, I've been going a long with the joke part (we're getting shirts that say geek and some cool glasses, all in school colors so our classmates can be proud...:wink:) and I've also been crackin' down and am making up extra pratcice sheets and like writing down things people should know, organizing practices and learning periods, all of which has never ever been done before.

Most people don't dissagree with anything I'm doing, except my co-captain. He's being a prick and refuses to really get into the spirit and be enthusiatic like I'm trying to get everyone else to be. He isn't really my problem, he's just a guy, easily dealt with, my problem is that I'm not sure everything I'm doing is cool. Should i chill and let things go like they always have? or should i at least slow down a bit? No one else really cares but me, i'd say not even the coach really. And i think all the responsibilty, though thoroughly abused, is still slightly cramping my care-free deliquent lifestyle. I'm just not sure what i should do as captain i guess. Usually captains do nothing, so i just don't know if i should too.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a similar problem in math club back in high school. I was team captain, but no one cared about the competition. They just wanted to be able to write math club on their college admission papers. Also, the teacher was very unenthusiastic about having to stay after school to hold practices. I had to pull teeth just to get my hands on past exams. When the actual competition came around, I was the only in my division to participate. The school basically forfeited the team competition and all I did was the individual competition. After two years of this (freshmen and sophomore), I gave up and joined the robotics club, which wasn't any better.

The moral of the story is to do your own thing and forget the losers.

Rent Stand And Deliver. Make them all watch it. If that doesn't reve them up have them all shot for treason.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Rent Stand And Deliver. Make them all watch it. If that doesn't reve them up have them all shot for treason.

God no. I don't know how many times I was forced to watch that movie in school.

Whatever you do Gale17, don't show them that movie. Instead show them "PI." If they are not sucidial by the end of the movie then i don't know what to say.

wow great advice guys, thanks sooo much! so now i make em watch some movies and either shoot them or they kill themselves... good plan... solves all my problems...

I never joined the Math club at my school, mainly because I disliked the kids in it. Both the Math club and Mathletes were pretty big though, a lot of kids joined and participated. Half the people can barely do algebra? Jesus, kids at my school who participated were at the very least in algebra 2 and most were in their first, second, or third year of calculus.

yeah, know how i said i don't care about that dumb co capt of mine? yeah i do. i hate him. I'm really really mad now. See, I'm a really crappy student. terrible terrible grades, i'll probably end up in some ****ty college if i even go. Ben, co capt, on the other hand, is like high honors student, smart, athletic, and it going to some wicked awesome school. I really don't want some college looking at his app, and being like capt of math team... wow, the years you were captain you guys went from bottom 3 to top 3, (or even) bottom 3 to state champs! and really, i was the one who did all that work. he's always better than me anyways, i'd hate to add to his perfect awesomeness.

See, I'm a really crappy student. terrible terrible grades, i'll probably end up in some ****ty college if i even go.

Don't worry, I had a 2.8 gpa in high school and I got into a first tier school thanks to SATs.

Originally posted by Gale17
yeah, know how i said i don't care about that dumb co capt of mine? yeah i do. i hate him. I'm really really mad now. See, I'm a really crappy student. terrible terrible grades, i'll probably end up in some ****ty college if i even go. Ben, co capt, on the other hand, is like high honors student, smart, athletic, and it going to some wicked awesome school. I really don't want some college looking at his app, and being like capt of math team... wow, the years you were captain you guys went from bottom 3 to top 3, (or even) bottom 3 to state champs! and really, i was the one who did all that work. he's always better than me anyways, i'd hate to add to his perfect awesomeness.
Ga-ale and Be-en, sittin' in a tree..

- Warren

1. What inspired you to write "Making Math Team Cool Again: The Story of a Delinquent Captain"?

As a scientist, I have always been passionate about math and its applications in our everyday lives. However, I noticed that many students, especially those in high school, were not as enthusiastic about math. This inspired me to write a story that would show the fun and exciting side of math, and hopefully encourage more students to appreciate the subject.

2. Is the story based on real events?

While the characters and events in the story are fictional, the challenges and experiences of the math team are based on real-life situations that many students face. I drew inspiration from my own experiences as a math team captain, as well as stories and anecdotes I have heard from other mathletes.

3. What message do you hope readers will take away from the book?

The main message of "Making Math Team Cool Again" is that math can be fun and cool, and anyone can be good at it. Through the journey of the delinquent captain and her team, I hope readers will see that with determination, teamwork, and a positive attitude, anyone can excel in math and achieve their goals.

4. Who would benefit from reading this book?

This book is suitable for anyone who loves math or is interested in joining a math team. It is also a great read for students who may not enjoy math as much, as it may change their perspective and show them a different side of the subject. Additionally, teachers and parents can also benefit from reading this book as it provides insights into the challenges students face in learning math.

5. Are there any plans for a sequel or follow-up to this book?

At this moment, there are no plans for a sequel or follow-up to "Making Math Team Cool Again." However, I am open to the idea and will consider it in the future. In the meantime, I hope readers will enjoy the story and be inspired to make math team cool again in their own schools and communities.