Can You Crack This Math Teaser?

• Thread starter AlbertEinstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crack
In summary, the conversation was about solving a math teaser involving a complex expression and applying L'Hospital's rule to find the limit. The final answer was 2π, using the polar forms of the complex numbers involved.
AlbertEinstein
Math Teaser!

Can you solve this?

[tex] \frac{4 \infty}{\sqrt{-1}} {(1+\sqrt{-1})^(1/\infty)-(1-\sqrt{-1})^(1/\infty)} [\tex]

Edit: why this latex is not being generated? Anyway the "expression" is

[(4*inf)/sqrt(-1)] * { [1+sqrt(-1)]^(1/inf) - [1-sqrt(-1)]^(1/inf) }

where inf stands for infinity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:
Taking the limit as N approaches infinity of

4N/i * [ (1+i)^(1/N) - (1-i)^(1/N) ]

which is:

4N/i * [ 1 + i(1/N) + o(N^-2) - 1 + i(1/N) + o(N^-2) ]

= 4N/i * [ 2i/N] + o(N^-1)

I get 8.

I'm not sure this is a brain teaser though.

Last edited:
Sorry dude but I think its wrong.THe answer is something else.Btw it was a math teaser :)

Hint: The part in the parenthesis is a hyperbolic sine, and the result is indeterminate until you apply L'Hospital's to get the final answer.

I get zero as answer

Nooooo..,O.K. I shall give a hint .Use polar forms of (1+i) and (1-i).
Give it a try.

Last edited:
That's a lot of hint. Here's what I get now:
2 * pi
I hope I didn't screw up somewhere.

Yeah its correct.

1. What is a math teaser?

A math teaser is a type of puzzle or problem that involves using mathematical concepts and skills to find a solution. These teasers often have a catchy or intriguing title and can be presented in the form of a riddle, game, or visual puzzle.

2. Why are math teasers important?

Math teasers are important because they help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and logical reasoning skills. They also make learning math more engaging and fun, and can be a great way to challenge and improve one's mathematical abilities.

3. How can I solve a math teaser?

To solve a math teaser, it is important to carefully read and understand the given problem, identify any relevant information or clues, and use your mathematical knowledge and skills to find a solution. It can also be helpful to try different approaches or strategies, and to think outside the box.

4. Are there different types of math teasers?

Yes, there are various types of math teasers, such as number puzzles, logic puzzles, geometry puzzles, and word problems. Each type requires a different set of skills and strategies to solve, making them a diverse and challenging way to practice and improve math skills.

5. How can math teasers be used in education?

Math teasers can be used in education as a fun and engaging way to reinforce and apply mathematical concepts and skills. They can also be used as a form of assessment to evaluate students' understanding and problem-solving abilities. Additionally, they can help develop critical thinking and creativity, and can be used as an icebreaker or team-building activity in the classroom.