1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math test thread proposal.

1. Nov 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the proposal of making a math test thread in which instructors test student's knowledge in a specific topic. If you agree then post the same thread.

For example: you have the topics that will be covered in your next exam such as permutations, combinations, bayes theorem, random variables etc. Then some instructor will proceed to challenge your knowledge in those topics with questions.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2015 #2
    Could you elaborate on this, I don't exactly understand.
    Can you make a specific example?

4. Nov 4, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is a wealth of problems already in these Forums. Just search the topic.

That said, I notice that when students do make up problems for themselves and post them, plus attempted solutions, it is frequently the case that the problems just don't 'work'. This suggests that having to devise problems is an even better test of understanding than solving them.

One area that is perhaps under-probed by the usual questions is redundant information. Relatively few throw in red herrings, so forcing the student to figure out which data are relevant. In the real world, that happens all the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted