Math texts that make you fall in love all over again

• Algebra
  • Thread starter ibkev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Love
  • Featured
In summary, math texts that make you fall in love all over again are written with a clear and engaging style that brings the beauty and complexity of mathematics to life. These texts use relatable examples and real-world applications to make the subject more approachable and enjoyable. They also provide a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and their relevance to our daily lives, reigniting a passion for the subject and inspiring a love for learning. With their captivating prose and insightful explanations, these math texts have the power to make readers fall in love with math all over again.
sukalp said:
okay so sensi is
step 1-Break concepts part by part
step 2-Skim the first half concepts
step 3-Then understand the half concepts ,underline notes,think in form of pictures,do lovingly
step 4-Then next do review
step 5-follow step 1,2,3,4 for 2nd half concepts
step 6-review the chapterRevise again and again ,take practical examples,give test ,join quiz,join forums
solve sample papers
done
There is no generic algorithm for learning maths effectively.. What you have suggested is what the kids do at as and a level, that's no way of learning math imo. good try nonetheless. You must also remember everyone has a different version of what they believe is "having learned something"...there are many levels to every statement in a subject, then there is the philosophy and history, we think we have learned "enough" because we can convince ourselves and draw the line somewhere. It will take me years to be able to say to myself, yes, I have learned mathematics.

edit: I have slept two hours in the past two days, not had my medicines so may not be as eloquent as usual :P apologies

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolar Demon said:
There is no algorithm for learning. What you have suggested is what the kids do at as and a level, that's no way of learning math imo. good try nonetheless. You must also remember everyone has a different version of what they believe is "having learned something"...

it is steps how to use spacing effect technique for learning it is better than cramming
from this link i have learned

Let us not forget the ET Bell book Men of Mathematics and the Lancelot Hogben book Mathematics in the Making which has been the inspiration for many well known scientists and mathematicians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_of_Mathematics

Last edited:
Likes jonjacson, ibkev and Logical Dog
I would say it was Edwin E Moise: Geometry. It made me enjoy mathematics and I learned a lot of things that were left out of my geometry course.

Kleppner and Kolenkow made me enjoy physics. I found it extremely boring before I found this book.

Likes ibkev
Although it's not a math book, when I was a student I was inspired to learn more math by reading Einstein's original paper on special relativity, the famous On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies. It encouraged me because I was not very far from knowing all the math in the paper, specifically partial differential equations, so I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. The same thing happened when I was learning about general relativity.

I was also inspired by reading Ulam's autobiography. He was a mathematician who was instrumental in the development of the H-bomb. He wrote about how amazed he was when he realized that a few mathematical symbols on a piece of paper could change the world.

In other words, nothing motivates me to learn math more than seeing how powerful it is when it comes to understanding the universe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ibkev and vanhees71