1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math - Trig algebra problem

1. Jul 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

T₁cosθ₁+T₂cosθ₂=mg
    T₁sinθ₁=T₂sinθ₂

Part A Isolating T₁ terms on one side,

T₁cosθ₁=mg‐T₂cosθ₂
    T₁sinθ₁=T₂sinθ₂

Part B Dividing the two equations, using tanθ=sinθ/cosθ,

cosθ₁/sinθ₁=mg/(T₂sinθ₂)‐cosθ₂/sinθ₂

1/tanθ₁=mg/(T₂sinθ₂)‐1/tanθ₂

2. Relevant equations

SOH CAH TOA

3. The attempt at a solution

I copy and paste the problem from my textbook. I will show you my attempt at this problem.
    My problem lies in Part B.

It says that I should use tanθ=sinθ/cosθ, but it flips the equation.

I want to set T₂ as 18.
    I want to set mg as 22.
    I want to set θ₂ as 64 degrees

Accordingly tanθ=sinθ/cosθ, would then be (18sinθ₂)/(mg-18cosθ₂) which would result = 1.1466.

(18sin64)/(22-18cos64)=

But if I plug the numbers that I set above, it would give me 1.402

mg/(T₂sinθ₂)‐cosθ₂/sinθ₂ = 22/(18sin64) - cos64/sin64 = 1.402

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2009 #2
    Hi flyingpig,

I would try typing this into your calculator again. For your very last step, I get 0.872 instead of 1.402 which if you take 1/0.872, you get 1.1466 as above.

Hope this helps.

4. Jul 11, 2009 #3
    I got it, but can you tell me why and how it is flipped?

5. Jul 11, 2009 #4
    In the first case, tanθ₁ = (T₂sinθ₂)/(mg-T₂cosθ₂). Plugging in your numbers yields 1.1466. That is:

[tex]\tan \theta _1 = 1.1466[/tex]

In the second case (1/tanθ₁=mg/(T₂sinθ₂)‐1/tanθ₂), plugging in your numbers yields 0.872. That is:

[tex]\frac{1}{\tan \theta _1} = 0.872[/tex]

So you can see that you've actually calculated 1/tan in the second case instead of tan like in the first case.

6. Jul 11, 2009 #5
    Why do we even flip it?

7. Jul 11, 2009 #6
    Perhaps you're a bit confused with what you've done.

Starting from your original post. In part B you have written some equations down. Here you took equation 1 from part A and divided it by equation 2 from part A to get a 1/tan on one side and the rest on the other. This is what was done in part B. Now it would just be a matter of plugging in your numbers to get a solution.

However, in your "Attempt at the solution" section, for some reason, you re-did part B, but this time you divided equation 2 from Part A by equation 1 from Part A and hence you got a tan instead of a 1/tan, hence for the two solutions to compare you would have to do like I did in post #4.

8. Jul 11, 2009 #7
    cosθ₁/sinθ₁=mg/(T₂sinθ₂)‐cosθ₂/sinθ₂

mg/(T₂sinθ₂)‐cosθ₂/sinθ₂ <--- I want to focus on more on this part.

It is a problem from my textbook, I got confused by the bracket.

Originally the tan ratio is (T₂sinθ₂)/(mg - T₂cosθ₂), but when I flipped it, it should look like (mg - T₂cosθ₂)/(T₂sinθ₂).

(mg - T₂cosθ₂)/(T₂sinθ₂).
    I know this is wrong, but how do I make the reciprocal of this and turn it into the verison my textbook had. Because I am really confused how my textbook seperate the "cosθ₂/sinθ₂" from the (mg - T₂cosθ₂)/(T₂sinθ₂) equation. Also, if you can don't use the math operators like I have.... that's probably where my question started. Thanks.

9. Jul 11, 2009 #8
    Okay, well it seems like you're stuck on just some basic algebra:

[tex]
    \tan \theta _1 = \frac{T_2 \sin \theta _2}{mg - T_2 \cos \theta _2}

\implies \frac{1}{\tan \theta _1} = \frac{mg - T_2 \cos \theta _2}{T_2 \sin \theta _2}
    [/tex]

Now for the part you seem to be stuck on:

[tex]
    \frac{mg - T_2 \cos \theta _2}{T_2 \sin \theta _2}
    = \frac{mg}{T_2 \sin \theta _2} - \frac{T_2 \cos \theta _2}{T_2 \sin \theta _2}
    = \frac{mg}{T_2 \sin \theta _2} - \frac{1}{\tan \theta _2}
    [/tex]

Let me know if you have any questions, but beyond this we are getting into some really basic algebra.

10. Jul 11, 2009 #9
    You've cleared up ALOT! However....

[tex]
    \frac{mg - T_2 \cos \theta _2}{T_2 \sin \theta _2}
    = \frac{mg}{T_2 \sin \theta _2} - \frac{T_2 \cos \theta _2}{T_2 \sin \theta _2}
    [/tex]

This is troubling me

[tex]
    \frac{T_2 \cos \theta _2}{T_2 \sin \theta _2}
    [/tex]

I am not saying you are incorrect, because I believe you are correct. But the textbook canceled out the [tex] T_2 [/tex]s

If they do they would it still make it equal? I am sorry for wasting your time on such a simple matter...I would've probably attracted more attention if I knew how to do nice operators.

11. Jul 11, 2009 #10
    I neglected canceling out the [tex]T_2[/tex]s just to show you the step where I split the fraction. You could have done the cancellation then too.

Notice in the last step, I make the cancellation, and the final answer is the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook