Math Typesetting

• Thread starter amcavoy
  • Start date
In general (not specifically for forums), what are the different math typesettings? I know there is LaTeX, but I have also seen something that looks different on sites such as MathWorld. Does anyone know what it is?

Answers and Replies

probably MathML which is a horrid mess to look at. it is an XML language so it has lots of open and close tags that are nested.

sorry, but I like the much more consice \alpha^2 \times \beta^2 = \gamma^2

[tex]\alpha^2 \times \beta^2 = \gamma^2[/tex]

Mathworld uses Mathematica to typeset its pages nowadays. For some odd reason they downgraded from LaTeX...

Ok thanks. Is Mathematica compatible with Linux?

Icebreaker
Wolfram's probably pushing for sales.

Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
ComputerGeek said:
bleh, MathML is to much syntax for too little return.
Yes, you can't help feeling that the W3C were far more concerned about it looking like their other languages than actually making it easy for mathematicians.

Zurtex said:
Yes, you can't help feeling that the W3C were far more concerned about it looking like their other languages than actually making it easy for mathematicians.
What is needed is a LaTeX to MathML converter. then you could have a simple little app that you type out your formula in latex and copy and past the mathML

Last edited by a moderator:
So MathWorld actually went back and changed their articles (from LaTeX to Mathematica sybols)? I could have sworn it looked different a while back...