Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Typesetting

1. Sep 17, 2005 #1
    In general (not specifically for forums), what are the different math typesettings? I know there is LaTeX, but I have also seen something that looks different on sites such as MathWorld. Does anyone know what it is?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2005 #2
    probably MathML which is a horrid mess to look at. it is an XML language so it has lots of open and close tags that are nested.

sorry, but I like the much more consice \alpha^2 \times \beta^2 = \gamma^2

[tex]\alpha^2 \times \beta^2 = \gamma^2[/tex]
  4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
    Mathworld uses Mathematica to typeset its pages nowadays. For some odd reason they downgraded from LaTeX...
  5. Sep 18, 2005 #4
    Ok thanks. Is Mathematica compatible with Linux?
  6. Sep 18, 2005 #5
    Wolfram's probably pushing for sales.
  7. Sep 18, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Sep 18, 2005 #7
  9. Sep 18, 2005 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can't help feeling that the W3C were far more concerned about it looking like their other languages than actually making it easy for mathematicians.
  10. Sep 18, 2005 #9
    What is needed is a LaTeX to MathML converter. then you could have a simple little app that you type out your formula in latex and copy and past the mathML
  11. Sep 19, 2005 #10
    there is: itex2mml and tex4moz
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  12. Sep 22, 2005 #11
    So MathWorld actually went back and changed their articles (from LaTeX to Mathematica sybols)? I could have sworn it looked different a while back...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?