1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math vocabulary

1. Dec 28, 2005 #1
    I was finishing a test today when one of the questions towards the end asked to have all the rational roots listed of a polynomial. I looked at this question and I thought: "I have never heard of 'rational roots'". Though I have heard of rational zeroes, so I just assumed these two to be the same. So far, from my web search and comparison of my book they seem the same.
    So I have a question to follow this (that I don't think is homework intensive, but): Are there any of other theorems which have other common names that I may encounter, does this happen often?
    Maybe I did go spacecadet in class for a while and the professor might have mentioned that the two are the same/related, but...will this be a reocurring trend through an education in math, say, up to differential equations?
    EDIT: this was in college algebra.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Strictly speaking, an equation has a root, while a function, such as a polynomial, has a zero. A zero of a function, f(x), is a root of the equation f(x)= 0. It is, unfortunately, a distinction that is ignored by all but anal-rententive people like me!

4. Dec 28, 2005 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To answer your question - some classes may have different terms for a single concept, and sometimes a syllabus will define something that you think you already know in a different way with a piossibly different meaning. Definitions rule for each class you take.

Explanations of the Chinese remainder theorem in the hands of different folks:

http://www-math.cudenver.edu/~wcherowi/courses/m5410/ctccrt.html

(This one has a proof and some "remarks" which are really limiting conditions or definitions)

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ChineseRemainderTheorem.html

They don't look identical do they?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?