Can one excel in higher level math courses without studying real analysis?

• Thread starter autre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate economics major with a main interest in quantitative methods, but does not enjoy purely theoretical math courses. They are concerned about being at a disadvantage when taking upper level courses, such as Theory of PDE, without a course in real analysis. The answer is that it depends on how the instructor approaches the course and it is best to ask beforehand. The speaker mentions that they have not taken a course in real analysis and believes they have absorbed most of the concepts through their applications.
autre
Can one truly appreciate mathematics without a course in real analysis? My main interest is in quantitative methods of economics and finance, or applied math. While I find the proofs behind calculus interesting, I can't see myself enjoying a purely theoretical math course. I prefer to explore that interest outside the classroom environment. Will I be at a significant disadvantage vis-à-vis more theoretical math students when I take upper level courses such as Theory of PDE?

(I am an undergraduate economics major)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
autre said:
Can one truly appreciate mathematics without a course in real analysis? My main interest is in quantitative methods of economics and finance, or applied math. While I find the proofs behind calculus interesting, I can't see myself enjoying a purely theoretical math course. I prefer to explore that interest outside the classroom environment. Will I be at a significant disadvantage vis-à-vis more theoretical math students when I take upper level courses such as Theory of PDE?

(I am an undergraduate economics major)

It depends on how the instructor approaches the upper-level course. My course on differential equations relied quite heavily on topology and real-analysis methods, so a student that didn't have real analysis would certainly have a major disadvantage.
However, I could see it happening that a course on PDE's does not use real analysis. In any case, it's best to ask the lecturer beforehand whether there will be a problem.

Even if the class isn't very theoretical, will students who have RA under their belts have a strong innate advantage in understanding the concepts?

I've actually never had a course in analysis per se. Of course, it's possible that I don't know what I'm missing, but I don't feel it's really held back my understanding of, for instance, PDEs. Instead, I think I've absorbed most of the concepts of analysis through their applications.

I understand the importance of building a strong foundation in mathematics, especially in higher level courses. While it is possible to excel in these courses without studying real analysis, it may be more challenging and may limit your understanding and application of mathematical concepts. Real analysis provides a rigorous and in-depth understanding of calculus and other mathematical concepts, which can be beneficial for students pursuing careers in quantitative methods of economics and finance.

However, it is also important to note that there are many different branches of mathematics, and real analysis may not be directly applicable to all areas of study. It is possible to appreciate and excel in mathematics without taking a course in real analysis, as long as you have a strong understanding of other mathematical concepts relevant to your field of interest.

That being said, taking a course in real analysis can provide a deeper understanding and appreciation for mathematics as a whole. It can also provide valuable problem-solving skills and analytical thinking that can be applied to other areas of study.

In terms of being at a disadvantage compared to more theoretical math students in upper level courses such as Theory of PDE, it ultimately depends on your individual strengths and weaknesses in mathematics and your ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems. However, taking a course in real analysis may give you a stronger foundation and a better understanding of the underlying principles in these higher level courses.

In summary, while it is possible to excel in higher level math courses without studying real analysis, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of this subject in order to fully appreciate and apply mathematical concepts in your field of interest. It is also important to continue exploring your interests in mathematics outside of the classroom environment.

1. What is "Math without analysis"?

"Math without analysis" refers to the branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes without incorporating the use of advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus or differential equations.

2. What are some examples of topics covered in "Math without analysis"?

Some examples of topics covered in "Math without analysis" include algebra, geometry, number theory, and discrete mathematics. These topics often involve the use of equations, formulas, and geometric shapes to solve problems and make predictions.

3. How is "Math without analysis" different from "Math with analysis"?

The main difference between "Math without analysis" and "Math with analysis" is the use of advanced mathematical concepts. While "Math without analysis" focuses on basic mathematical principles, "Math with analysis" incorporates more complex concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and limits.

4. Who can benefit from studying "Math without analysis"?

Anyone can benefit from studying "Math without analysis", as it provides a strong foundation in fundamental mathematical concepts that are applicable in various fields such as engineering, computer science, economics, and more. It is also useful for those who want to pursue further studies in mathematics.

5. How can "Math without analysis" be applied in real-life situations?

"Math without analysis" can be applied in various real-life situations, such as budgeting, calculating interest rates, measuring distances, and more. It can also be used in problem-solving and decision-making processes, as well as in understanding and analyzing data in fields such as statistics and finance.