1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math without analysis

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    Can one truly appreciate mathematics without a course in real analysis? My main interest is in quantitative methods of economics and finance, or applied math. While I find the proofs behind calculus interesting, I can't see myself enjoying a purely theoretical math course. I prefer to explore that interest outside the classroom environment. Will I be at a significant disadvantage vis-à-vis more theoretical math students when I take upper level courses such as Theory of PDE?

(I am an undergraduate economics major)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It depends on how the instructor approaches the upper-level course. My course on differential equations relied quite heavily on topology and real-analysis methods, so a student that didn't have real analysis would certainly have a major disadvantage.
    However, I could see it happening that a course on PDE's does not use real analysis. In any case, it's best to ask the lecturer beforehand whether there will be a problem.

4. Jul 25, 2011 #3
    Even if the class isn't very theoretical, will students who have RA under their belts have a strong innate advantage in understanding the concepts?

5. Jul 25, 2011 #4
    I've actually never had a course in analysis per se. Of course, it's possible that I don't know what I'm missing, but I don't feel it's really held back my understanding of, for instance, PDEs. Instead, I think I've absorbed most of the concepts of analysis through their applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook