Math Struggles: Probability & Beyond

• Thread starter spizma
  • Start date
In summary, the speakers discussed their experiences with pre-calc and their struggles with counting methods and probability. They also touched on the lack of emphasis on discrete math in American math curriculum and the potential benefits of early exposure to it. One speaker mentioned their difficulty with geometry and visualizing geometric objects.
spizma
I took pre-calc last year, and I caught onto almost everything very quickly and found most of the homework easy. However, when we had a chapter on counting methods (combinations and permutations) and probability, it was the complete opposite and had me spending significant amounts of time on each problem, and even giving up on a few. I'm not to concerned about this or anything, but I was wondering what other people's weak spots in math are. Is probability a typical area of struggle?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I was in the same situation as you when I took precalc (I will be starting my freshman year in college in a month) except we were never even exposed to counting methods. The only time counting methods were taught were in my geometry class and for no particular reason except that the administration felt that students should learn the basics.

I think one of the reasons counting and probability is an area of struggle, at least here in America, is that our typical math curriculum is nowhere near ready for such topics to be included. I went to a very good high school and even then there had to be compromise and trading to find the right teacher with the right knowledge(who didn't teach geometry) to teach us counting. I think you'll find many less K-12 teachers who have a firm head for combinatorics than for algebra. But even that there are many less than qualified teachers in the latter subject.

Granted that the ultimate goal of a K-12 math education is to prepare students for calculus, an early exposure to discrete math may keep more students interested in mathematics. But this doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Anyways, as a consequence, most people are exposed to and familiar with continuous mathematics. I think in some cases this lends to the person having a difficulty (at least initially) with discrete math. As for myself, I have definitely improved in number theory (which I knew just as much about in precalc as I did about counting, practically nothing) but I will admit I have been avoiding counting/probability a bit. I guess I want to know if having an aptitude for one area of discrete math will lead to improvements in another.

I positively suck at geometry where solutions are based on "uniform objects" (not sure what the English term for that is) of different scales or angles.

Stuff like taking a right triangle and dividing it into two new ones with a normal from the 90 degree angle to the hypothenus, and then figuring which sides in the two new triangles correspond to which side of the original.

Basically I suck at rotating / mirroring geometric objects in my head.

k

1. What is probability and why is it important?

Probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of events occurring. It is important because it allows us to make predictions and decisions based on data and uncertainty. It is used in various fields such as finance, science, and engineering.

2. What are some common math struggles students face with probability?

Students may struggle with understanding the concept of probability and how to calculate it. They may also have difficulty with applying probability concepts to real-world situations and solving word problems. Additionally, students may struggle with interpreting and representing data using probability.

3. How can students improve their understanding of probability?

Students can improve their understanding of probability by practicing with a variety of problems and real-world scenarios. They can also use visual aids, such as probability trees and diagrams, to better understand the concept. Collaborating with peers and seeking help from teachers or tutors can also be beneficial.

4. What are some resources that can help students with math struggles in probability?

There are many online resources available, such as interactive games, videos, and practice problems, that can help students with math struggles in probability. Additionally, students can use textbooks, study guides, and workbooks specifically focused on probability. Seeking help from teachers, tutors, or peers can also be beneficial.

5. How can parents support their child with math struggles in probability?

Parents can support their child by encouraging them to practice regularly and providing them with resources, such as books or online tools, to help them improve their understanding of probability. They can also work with their child's teacher to identify areas of struggle and develop a plan to address them. Additionally, parents can create real-world scenarios for their child to apply probability concepts in a practical way.