##\mathbb{Z_2}## a field?

• B
  • Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the conversation is about proving that ##\mathbb{Z_2}## is a field. The question of whether there exists a multiplication inverse for 0 is raised and it is pointed out that this is not possible as 0 is not part of the multiplicative group. The concept of multiplication by 0 is explained through the distributive law and it is concluded that there cannot be an inversion for 0. It is suggested to ignore the 0 case and focus on proving it for the 1 case instead.
romsofia
I was helping someone with a problem today, and it was about showing that ##\mathbb{Z_2}## was a field. It's been a while since I've done abstract algebra, but to my knowledge, this means that there has to exist a multiplication inverse for 0? But I don't see how it would be allowed in this set.
##0*a=1 \rightarrow 0=a^{-1}## but ##0*0=0##. Is there something I'm overlooking? Potentially my math is off too, any insights would be helpful.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
romsofia said:
I was helping someone with a problem today, and it was about showing that ##\mathbb{Z_2}## was a field. It's been a while since I've done abstract algebra, but to my knowledge, this means that there has to exist a multiplication inverse for 0? But I don't see how it would be allowed in this set.
##0*a=1 \rightarrow 0=a^{-1}## but ##0*0=0##. Is there something I'm overlooking? Potentially my math is off too, any insights would be helpful.
No, there cannot be a multiplicative inverse to ##0##, it does not belong to the multiplicative group, which in this case is simply ##\{\,1\,\}##.
Multiplication by zero merley comes from the distributive law: ##a\cdot 0 := a\cdot (1+(-1)) = a -a = 0##. You see, that it isn't even defined as a multiplication by zero, only by the requirement, that distribution holds for all elements between the two groups. So how there can be an inversion, if there isn't even a multiplication? It only drops out of another rule.

Likes romsofia
fresh_42 said:
No, there cannot be a multiplicative inverse to ##0##, it does not belong to the multiplicative group, which in this case is simply ##\{\,1\,\}##.
Multiplication by zero merley comes from the distributive law: ##a\cdot 0 := a\cdot (1+(-1)) = a -a = 0##. You see, that it isn't even defined as a multiplication by zero, only by the requirement, that distribution holds for all elements between the two groups. So how there can be an inversion, if there isn't even a multiplication? It only drops out of another rule.
So, at the time, I told the student to ignore the 0 case and talk to their teacher, and prove it for the 1 case. Should that be the advice I have in the future for these kinds of questions?

romsofia said:
So, at the time, I told the student to ignore the 0 case and talk to their teacher, and prove it for the 1 case. Should that be the advice I have in the future for these kinds of questions?
If you like.

##0## is simply not part of the multiplicative system. We start with an additive structure of all elements that has a ##1## so that we can count. In cases like ##\mathbb{Z}_2## where ##1+1=0## it is counting as well, only that in this case skipping the light switch twice brings us back to where we started, but we counted. And of course we want ##1 \cdot a = a##. So up to now we only can add, count and add (subtract) numbers to themselves. To make sense of it, we find the distribution law. In the last step, we ask, if we could reverse those multiplications. This requires a multiplication with division, but it does not require to have this for all elements. Namely ##0## cannot be part of the multiplication, except for what distribution allows us to do. Assuming a division by zero will instantly create contradictions: ##1 = 0 / 0 = 0 \cdot [0]^{-1} = (1 -1) \cdot [0]^{-1}= 1 \cdot [0]^{-1} - 1 \cdot [0]^{-1} = [0]^{-1} - [0]^{-1} = 0## and we cannot distinguish the dot operation from the plus operation anymore.

Likes romsofia

1. What is a field?

A field is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, along with two operations (usually addition and multiplication), that follow specific rules and properties.

2. What is ##\mathbb{Z_2}##?

##\mathbb{Z_2}##, also known as the field of integers modulo 2, is a field that contains only two elements: 0 and 1. It is often used in computer science and cryptography.

3. What are the operations in ##\mathbb{Z_2}##?

The two operations in ##\mathbb{Z_2}## are addition and multiplication. Addition is defined as XOR (exclusive OR) and multiplication is defined as AND.

4. What are the properties of ##\mathbb{Z_2}## as a field?

##\mathbb{Z_2}## has the properties of closure, commutativity, associativity, identity elements, inverse elements, and distributivity. These properties ensure that the field follows specific rules and can be used for various mathematical operations.

5. How is ##\mathbb{Z_2}## used in cryptography?

##\mathbb{Z_2}## is used in cryptography for its ability to perform binary operations and its simplicity in representing data. It is commonly used in encryption algorithms, such as the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), to secure data and communications.