Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathcad or Mathematica?

Tags:
  1. Feb 24, 2005 #1
    Mathcad or Mathematica????

Hi guys, I already have MathCad 2003 Installed in my computer, should I get Mathematica? What's the difference?

Can Mathematica find general solution of a differential equations? Mathcad can find only particular ones,

Can Mathematica solve a system of linear or differential equations or partial differential equations?

Thanks, and please be specific in the answer about the difference, and if it does it need any programming, I know C++, can I work in it if it needs?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3
    I know that Mathematica does find general solutions of ODEs, but I'm not sure about systems of ODEs and PDEs. It is very programmable, though.

5. Feb 24, 2005 #4
    Matlab
    :biggrin:

6. Feb 25, 2005 #5

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: :biggrin: Both !

7. Feb 25, 2005 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It does work with systems, as far as I know with the same limitations it works with ODEs and PDEs.

8. Feb 25, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Definitely numerical.I mean,most of the systems are unsolvable analytically,therefore numerical sollutions can be found.A smart software is all u need...

Daniel.

9. Feb 25, 2005 #8
    Thanks everybody for the information...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?