1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathcad or Mathematica?

Tags:
  1. Feb 24, 2005 #1
    Mathcad or Mathematica????

Hi guys, I already have MathCad 2003 Installed in my computer, should I get Mathematica? What's the difference?

Can Mathematica find general solution of a differential equations? Mathcad can find only particular ones,

Can Mathematica solve a system of linear or differential equations or partial differential equations?

Thanks, and please be specific in the answer about the difference, and if it does it need any programming, I know C++, can I work in it if it needs?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3
    I know that Mathematica does find general solutions of ODEs, but I'm not sure about systems of ODEs and PDEs. It is very programmable, though.

5. Feb 24, 2005 #4
    Matlab
    :biggrin:

6. Feb 25, 2005 #5

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: :biggrin: Both !

7. Feb 25, 2005 #6

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It does work with systems, as far as I know with the same limitations it works with ODEs and PDEs.

8. Feb 25, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Definitely numerical.I mean,most of the systems are unsolvable analytically,therefore numerical sollutions can be found.A smart software is all u need...

Daniel.

9. Feb 25, 2005 #8
    Thanks everybody for the information...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?