1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathe questions

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1
    Is infinity - 1 still infinity. Also if 1\3 = .333... then wouldent 3\3not only = 1 but .999... as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suggest you wander over to the math forum and take a look at the threads answering this question there. The thread requesting an FAQ sticky will be the easiest place to look.

4. Jul 8, 2005 #3
    I am not sure about the definition of the infinity question. But for the second part: If you have 1/3 = .3333....., then 1/.333333..... = 3, so 3/3 = [1/.333333.....] / [1/.333333.....] which equals 1

5. Jul 8, 2005 #4
    keep in mind infinity is not a number, but a limit. You can come arbitrarily close to infinity, but you can never reach it.

6. Jul 8, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Much as it pains me to do this, I will have to move this thread from GD to Math.

7. Jul 8, 2005 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually I don't think you can get close to it. No matter how big a number you choose, infinity it still infinitely "far" away.

8. Jul 8, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.
    Yes again.

9. Jul 9, 2005 #8
    your definition is better :smile: I like to think of it in the following way:

let's say you have a=x/n . You can choose x to be the greatest number your imagination can muster (thus coming arbitrarily close to infinity). lim of a when n -> infinity will always be 0. So as you said, "infinity it still infinitely "far" away".

10. Jul 9, 2005 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

is infinity a place? like oz?

11. Jul 9, 2005 #10
    How many of these discussions do we have to have going on? Can't one of the moderators make a sticky and address this subject once and for all? Please.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook