Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathe questions

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1
    Is infinity - 1 still infinity. Also if 1\3 = .333... then wouldent 3\3not only = 1 but .999... as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suggest you wander over to the math forum and take a look at the threads answering this question there. The thread requesting an FAQ sticky will be the easiest place to look.

4. Jul 8, 2005 #3
    I am not sure about the definition of the infinity question. But for the second part: If you have 1/3 = .3333....., then 1/.333333..... = 3, so 3/3 = [1/.333333.....] / [1/.333333.....] which equals 1

5. Jul 8, 2005 #4
    keep in mind infinity is not a number, but a limit. You can come arbitrarily close to infinity, but you can never reach it.

6. Jul 8, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Much as it pains me to do this, I will have to move this thread from GD to Math.

7. Jul 8, 2005 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually I don't think you can get close to it. No matter how big a number you choose, infinity it still infinitely "far" away.

8. Jul 8, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.
    Yes again.

9. Jul 9, 2005 #8
    your definition is better :smile: I like to think of it in the following way:

let's say you have a=x/n . You can choose x to be the greatest number your imagination can muster (thus coming arbitrarily close to infinity). lim of a when n -> infinity will always be 0. So as you said, "infinity it still infinitely "far" away".

10. Jul 9, 2005 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

is infinity a place? like oz?

11. Jul 9, 2005 #10
    How many of these discussions do we have to have going on? Can't one of the moderators make a sticky and address this subject once and for all? Please.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?