Mathe questions

Is infinity - 1 still infinity. Also if 1\3 = .333... then wouldent 3\3not only = 1 but .999... as well?

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I suggest you wander over to the math forum and take a look at the threads answering this question there. The thread requesting an FAQ sticky will be the easiest place to look.

I am not sure about the definition of the infinity question. But for the second part: If you have 1/3 = .3333....., then 1/.333333..... = 3, so 3/3 = [1/.333333.....] / [1/.333333.....] which equals 1

keep in mind infinity is not a number, but a limit. You can come arbitrarily close to infinity, but you can never reach it.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Much as it pains me to do this, I will have to move this thread from GD to Math.

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You can come arbitrarily close to infinity, but you can never reach it.
Actually I don't think you can get close to it. No matter how big a number you choose, infinity it still infinitely "far" away.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
BTruesdell07 said:
Is infinity - 1 still infinity.
Yes.
Also if 1\3 = .333... then wouldent 3\3not only = 1 but .999... as well?
Yes again.

Integral said:
Actually I don't think you can get close to it. No matter how big a number you choose, infinity it still infinitely "far" away.
your definition is better :smile: I like to think of it in the following way:

let's say you have a=x/n . You can choose x to be the greatest number your imagination can muster (thus coming arbitrarily close to infinity). lim of a when n -> infinity will always be 0. So as you said, "infinity it still infinitely "far" away".

mathwonk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
is infinity a place? like oz?

How many of these discussions do we have to have going on? Can't one of the moderators make a sticky and address this subject once and for all? Please.