Exploring Infinity: Is 1 Still Infinity?

• Thread starter BTruesdell07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of infinity and its relationship to numbers. It is mentioned that infinity is not a number but a limit and that it cannot be reached. The topic of 1/3 equaling .333... and the idea that 3/3 would also equal .999... is also discussed. The conversation ends with a request for a moderator to create a sticky addressing this subject.
BTruesdell07
Is infinity - 1 still infinity. Also if 1\3 = .333... then wouldent 3\3not only = 1 but .999... as well?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I suggest you wander over to the math forum and take a look at the threads answering this question there. The thread requesting an FAQ sticky will be the easiest place to look.

I am not sure about the definition of the infinity question. But for the second part: If you have 1/3 = .3333..., then 1/.333333... = 3, so 3/3 = [1/.333333...] / [1/.333333...] which equals 1

keep in mind infinity is not a number, but a limit. You can come arbitrarily close to infinity, but you can never reach it.

Much as it pains me to do this, I will have to move this thread from GD to Math.

You can come arbitrarily close to infinity, but you can never reach it.

Actually I don't think you can get close to it. No matter how big a number you choose, infinity it still infinitely "far" away.

BTruesdell07 said:
Is infinity - 1 still infinity.
Yes.
Also if 1\3 = .333... then wouldent 3\3not only = 1 but .999... as well?
Yes again.

Integral said:
Actually I don't think you can get close to it. No matter how big a number you choose, infinity it still infinitely "far" away.

your definition is better :smile: I like to think of it in the following way:

let's say you have a=x/n . You can choose x to be the greatest number your imagination can muster (thus coming arbitrarily close to infinity). lim of a when n -> infinity will always be 0. So as you said, "infinity it still infinitely "far" away".

is infinity a place? like oz?

How many of these discussions do we have to have going on? Can't one of the moderators make a sticky and address this subject once and for all? Please.

1. What is infinity?

Infinity is a concept that represents something that is limitless, endless, or never-ending. It is a mathematical concept used to describe something that has no bounds or limits.

2. How is infinity related to the number 1?

Infinity and the number 1 are related in the sense that 1 is often used to represent the beginning or starting point of something, while infinity represents the end or limitless possibilities. In mathematics, 1 is also used in equations to represent infinite values, such as 1/0 or 1+∞.

3. Is 1 considered to be infinity?

No, 1 is not considered to be infinity. While 1 can be used to represent infinite values in equations, it is not the same as infinity itself. Infinity is a concept, while 1 is a specific numerical value.

4. How does exploring 1 as infinity impact mathematics?

Exploring 1 as infinity can have a significant impact on mathematics. It can challenge traditional concepts and definitions, leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field. It can also help us better understand the nature of infinity and its applications in various mathematical equations and theories.

5. Can 1 ever truly be considered as infinity?

This is a debated topic among mathematicians and philosophers. While some may argue that 1 can never truly be considered as infinity, others believe that it can be used as a representation or approximation of infinity in certain contexts. Ultimately, the answer may depend on one's perspective and interpretation of the concept of infinity.