Expressing Functions as Sums in Mathematica: Sigma Notation Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express a given function as a sum in Mathematica using sigma notation. The example given is for ##e^x## and the desired output is ##e^x = \Sigma_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n/n!##. The conversation also mentions the use of natural language input to obtain the sum representation of a function in Mathematica.
member 428835
Does anyone know how to express a given function as a sum in mathematica using sigma notation? For example, I know how to make ##e^x = 1 + x^2/2 + x^3/6 + x^4/24...## but how would I have mathematica write it as ##e^x = \Sigma_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n/n!##?

Thanks a ton!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you want here. If you want to write the sum yourself, use
Code:
Sum[x^n/(n!),{n,0,Infinity}]
Or do you want Mathematica to tell you what the sum is, given ##e^x##?

I was trying to have mathematica tell me the sum given ##e^x## (or any other function for that matter.

Thanks for responding!

The only way I can think of to obtain this is using natural language input:
Code:
= e^x series representation

thanks for your help!

5 Frequently Asked Questions about "Expressing Functions as Sums in Mathematica: Sigma Notation Guide"

Q: What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent a sum of terms. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and is commonly used in mathematics and statistics to express a series of terms that follow a specific pattern.

Q: How do I express a function as a sum using sigma notation in Mathematica?

To express a function as a sum using sigma notation in Mathematica, you can use the Sum function. The syntax is Sum[f, {i, i1, i2}] where f is the function, i is the index variable, i1 is the starting value of the index, and i2 is the ending value of the index.

Q: Can I use conditions in sigma notation?

Yes, you can use conditions in sigma notation by adding an additional argument to the Sum function. For example, Sum[f, {i, i1, i2, condition}] where condition is a logical expression that sets limitations on the index variable.

Q: How do I use sigma notation to find the sum of a series?

To find the sum of a series using sigma notation, you can use the Sum function. The syntax is Sum[f, {i, i1, i2}] where f is the expression or formula for the series, i is the index variable, i1 is the starting value of the index, and i2 is the ending value of the index. The result will be the sum of all the terms in the series.

Q: Can I use sigma notation to represent infinite series?

Yes, sigma notation can be used to represent infinite series. To do so, you can use the Infinity symbol (∞) as the ending value of the index in the Sum function. However, it is important to note that infinite series may not always converge and may require further analysis.